Walmart completes sale of Asda

Retail news from Europe (Excluding Russia)
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Walmart completes sale of Asda

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart completes sale of Asda

Post by veteran+ »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Walmart hasn't had a lot of success internationally outside of Canada, Mexico, and China (where they grew more organically as opposed to purchasing an existing chain).
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

arizonaguy wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:00 am Walmart hasn't had a lot of success internationally outside of Canada, Mexico, and China (where they grew more organically as opposed to purchasing an existing chain).
They also have stores in Guatemala, Chile, and South Africa.
15 years ago, Walmart exited Germany and South Korea. They have also failed in India, Japan (just sold this year), Brazil, and Argentina (also sold this year). Tesco has also failed in some of those countries I mentioned.
Long-term, Walmart should just focus on their core North American and Chinese operations. They do strong in the US, Mexico, and China. They do decent business in Canada.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

On a side note, how come Albertsons (old and post-Safeway) and Kroger have never expanded internationally?
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 10:02 am On a side note, how come Albertsons (old and post-Safeway) and Kroger have never expanded internationally?
That's a good question. I could see Albertsons acquiring Sobey and then Safeway would be reunited. As for Kroger, Loblaw's seems like a good partner. Similar stores and concepts between the two. The Great Canadian Superstore seems similar to a Kroger Marketplace or a small Fred Meyer. I have wondered why Kroger did not take over some of the leases from Target Canada and do a Fred Meyer test in greater Vancouver? It would have been a natural extension of the Fred Meyer brand which would be familiar to Vancouverites because of watching Seattle TV. On a side note, I've been told by someone in the Northern Region Office of Fred Meyer, that pre-Kroger, Fred Meyer had been sniffing around Edmonton, Alberta for expansion and then decided not to.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

All I can say is I hope EG Group runs Asda differently than it runs Quik Stop.

My opinion of this EG Group is very low based on seeing how they run the c-stores they bought from Kroger. The Quik Stops are absolutely awful. Kwik Shop is a little better but not much. These were all rather well run under Kroger.