Sobeys opens a "Flexstore"

News & Discussion from the grocery retailers in the Canadian provinces & territories
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Sobeys opens a "Flexstore"

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Sobeys has opened a store in Orangeville, Ontario (an exurb of Toronto), the first "Flexstore" designed by German company Interstore to open in North America.
In this Flexstore, the fixtures used are movable and ready to plug in. For example, the pizza counter can easily be replaced with a salad bar by moving and exchanging counters.
Looking at interior pictures, very nice looking store. Reminds me of the Broadway Albertsons.
It's too bad Sobeys has botched their purchase of Canada Safeway, as Sobeys stores look very nice. They have made strong improvements to their Compliments private label recently (packaging looks far better).

https://progressivegrocer.com/sobeys-op ... th-america
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Sobeys opens a "Flexstore"

Post by veteran+ »

What a great idea!!!

Also, beautiful store!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Great idea if the local management knows their store and is empowered to make decisions on how to "flex" the store, and also provided with the tools to analyze results of those decisions quickly.

The idea and concept sounds so simple and logical my biggest question is why isn't it more common?

In other Sobeys related information, there was a good sized but very aged Safeway in North Vancouver that never received a lifestyle remodel for some reason. Interestingly, it escaped those "FreshCo" conversions. Save On Foods in the same parking lot was busier every time I was there. Sobeys finally remodeled the Safeway earlier this year. Now it came up that the site is going to be redeveloped into 479 apartments.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: December 4th, 2021, 12:32 pm In other Sobeys related information, there was a good sized but very aged Safeway in North Vancouver that never received a lifestyle remodel for some reason. Interestingly, it escaped those "FreshCo" conversions. Save On Foods in the same parking lot was busier every time I was there. Sobeys finally remodeled the Safeway earlier this year. Now it came up that the site is going to be redeveloped into 479 apartments.
Wealthy North Vancouver isn't well suited to a FreshCo anyway.
Nice remodel- kinda looks like the Pavilions interior with darker colors.