Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

Post by rwsandiego »

CalItalian wrote:I've been in the Albertsons at Tropicana and Jones. I was shocked that it hasn't had a remodel since the Lucky days. It's a complete mess with broken flooring, lighting that is out and one or more freezer units each time I have been in that have been out. There is a Smith's catty corner to it and it's a busy store. Not a great store but lots better than that Albertsons. There was a Fresh & Easy across the street from both Smith's and Albertsons. It never got any traffic but I sure loved all the discounted clearance food in it. The Vons on Durango is a much better store than most Albertsons in Las Vegas but since the Southwest Division has taken it over, each time I have been in there they were out of many advertised items. The Glazier's across the street is much busier. I've actually been impressed by some of the Vons advertised prices since the Southwest division took over. Like a case of Refreshe water for .99 cents a few weeks ago. Never that low in California.
When did you visit this store? I wanted to see the interior and looked up that Albertsons at Tropicana and Jones and according to Yelp it has a very bizarre version of PFH 1.0. I say that because the lettering of the produce sign is an avocado green and some of the letters are on top of the Albertsons' leaf which is the same color. The pics date back to 2011. Maybe they did a slap-dash "remodel" thinking anything was better than the old Lucky decor.

Here's a pic of the lovely produce department:

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

My most recent Lucky interior sighting in Las Vegas was Fort Apache at West Sahara... may have been remodeled since then... had a half hearted but credible kosher effort going thar was really sad compared to the Rampart Smiths with its separate prepared foods areas, etc.

Repainted red and black. Yuck.

Was in good condition considering all things.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

rwsandiego wrote:
CalItalian wrote:I've been in the Albertsons at Tropicana and Jones. I was shocked that it hasn't had a remodel since the Lucky days. It's a complete mess with broken flooring, lighting that is out and one or more freezer units each time I have been in that have been out. There is a Smith's catty corner to it and it's a busy store. Not a great store but lots better than that Albertsons. There was a Fresh & Easy across the street from both Smith's and Albertsons. It never got any traffic but I sure loved all the discounted clearance food in it. The Vons on Durango is a much better store than most Albertsons in Las Vegas but since the Southwest Division has taken it over, each time I have been in there they were out of many advertised items. The Glazier's across the street is much busier. I've actually been impressed by some of the Vons advertised prices since the Southwest division took over. Like a case of Refreshe water for .99 cents a few weeks ago. Never that low in California.
When did you visit this store? I wanted to see the interior and looked up that Albertsons at Tropicana and Jones and according to Yelp it has a very bizarre version of PFH 1.0. I say that because the lettering of the produce sign is an avocado green and some of the letters are on top of the Albertsons' leaf which is the same color. The pics date back to 2011. Maybe they did a slap-dash "remodel" thinking anything was better than the old Lucky decor.

Here's a pic of the lovely produce department:

Look at the photos on Google. They even still have a turnstile. I can't remember the last store I was in that had a turnstile entrance. https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... 8QoioIejAK
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

A turnstile! Classic!!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Last year, the vast majority of Las Vegas Albertsons (particularly within about a 6 mile radius of the Strip, but I did come across one way out on Boulder Highway in Southeast Las Vegas too) have turnstyles at the entrances. I believe the turnstyles were part of Supervalu's loss prevention program, which implemented similar interesting policies such as locking shelves for things like liquid hand soap (retail value $1) and toothpaste (retail value $1-$5) at the same time in the same store locations.

I believe the locking shelves have been removed from a lot of the low value categories by Southwest Division, but the turnstyles remain.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote:I believe the locking shelves have been removed from a lot of the low value categories by Southwest Division, but the turnstyles remain.
The Albertsons in the Rockwood neighborhood of Portland also has a turnstile and originally you had to receive a code to use the restroom. I don't remember if some health and beauty items were actually locked beyond those strange "turn a crank" nobs for the razor refills and such.

The Safeway up the street had cameras at both entrances that caught your face / at eye level. That store closed shortly after the merger.

I haven't been back to this store as it is across town from where I live.

The Cully neighborhood Albertsons had a turnstile and gray-blue decor, but got remodeled to LLC and the turnstile is gone.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:Last year, the vast majority of Las Vegas Albertsons (particularly within about a 6 mile radius of the Strip, but I did come across one way out on Boulder Highway in Southeast Las Vegas too) have turnstyles at the entrances. I believe the turnstyles were part of Supervalu's loss prevention program, which implemented similar interesting policies such as locking shelves for things like liquid hand soap (retail value $1) and toothpaste (retail value $1-$5) at the same time in the same store locations.

I believe the locking shelves have been removed from a lot of the low value categories by Southwest Division, but the turnstyles remain.
Right, I had forgotten that prior to 2013, the LV Albertsons were in SoCal's division, not Southwest, as there were a few stores SuperValu had converted to Lucky (all of which closed prior to the realignment).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

An update to the Yakima Albertsons closure, it has all but confirmed that the other Albertsons in town at 1610 West Lincoln will be rebranded to a Safeway.

http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/busine ... 6ebc1.html
Super S

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote:An update to the Yakima Albertsons closure, it has all but confirmed that the other Albertsons in town at 1610 West Lincoln will be rebranded to a Safeway.

http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/busine ... 6ebc1.html
Worth noting is that this store is a former Buttrey.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Added a few more, including a reclaimed Fresh & Easy that reopened. I did some looking into this store, this is what I found.
Former Alpha Beta Market located at 580 North Rengstorff Ave. in Mountain View,CA. After Alpha Beta closed the building was acquired by Lucky which renovated the interior to match their current color scheme. Albertsons closed the store in 2004 as it became quite a mess in addition to the building needing major renovations. There was short-lived asian market operating under the name Golden Phoenix however they closed after a small fire broke out. Upon my visit in March 2009 the shopping center was undergoing a major remodel resulting in new facades, however the interior of the supermarket is still in need of major repairs.
I think this may have been actually converted TO Lucky in the late 1980s, not "closed and reopened". Seems this Golden Phoenix store never changed out the old Lucky decor.