Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

Post by storewanderer »

I think there is closure activity at Acme we have missed.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:I think there is closure activity at Acme we have missed.
The Newark closure was already added. I'm not aware of any further Acme closings...
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by cathandler »

Speaking of Acme, the continued underperformance of the acquired A&P stores has brought about a change in the executive suite
http://www.supermarketnews.com/executiv ... wheel-acme
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

cathandler wrote:Speaking of Acme, the continued underperformance of the acquired A&P stores has brought about a change in the executive suite
http://www.supermarketnews.com/executiv ... wheel-acme
They brought back Perkins, which is a sign of good things, not bad. If I recall, he was the one that turned the chain around after SuperValu.

And also Yakima's Albertsons is now Safeway, which needs to be added next time around.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

There is a former Albertsons store on Highway 99 in Lynnwood WA which has recently been rebrsnded to Safeway. Not familiar with this store so I can't tell much more than that.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Brian Lutz wrote:There is a former Albertsons store on Highway 99 in Lynnwood WA which has recently been rebrsnded to Safeway. Not familiar with this store so I can't tell much more than that.
Already got it. In an interesting twist, Shaw's (one of the more unlikely brands in the chain to go around opening new stores) announced it would move into a vacant Hannaford in Hudson, MA.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/ ... -in-hudson

Another one to add to the list...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I would think performance must have been pretty bad for Hannaford to have closed... hard for me to understand how Shaw's with higher prices, a worse perimeter, no self checkout, etc. is going to do better than Hannaford did... guess we will see.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:I would think performance must have been pretty bad for Hannaford to have closed... hard for me to understand how Shaw's with higher prices, a worse perimeter, no self checkout, etc. is going to do better than Hannaford did... guess we will see.
Speaking locally, the only store that I ever seen closed strictly due to performance and not some other factor (failing chain, moving to a bigger store--this is how Randalls, Winn-Dixie, AppleTree, and Albertsons all left town) is that one Kroger at the corner of Southwest Parkway and Texas Avenue. It received almost no capex after around the 2001 renovation, which wasn't all that extensive anyway, then rolled over and played dead when the H-E-B down the street opened a large store in 2002 that is packed out regularly, and the Wal-Mart down the road that expanded to a Supercenter in 2010 (also perpetually busy). Looking back, maybe it was Kroger's intentions to have no more than two in the area, and that when the Rock Prairie Road store was built in 2000 (much closer to the Walmart, but received enough updates to keep it busy) but the lease expiration was still years away, so they did a cheap remodel and called it a day.

In this case, I'd also bet that the landlord gave Albertsons a heck of a deal to fill the space.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

I've got another store closure for you.

Safeway: 14505 W Grand Ave Surprise, AZ 85374

This store closed on June 2, 2017. The Albertsons across the street was remodeled and is still open.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Which interior did the Albertsons remodel obtain?

Glad to see they are not doing banner changes to Safeway in Phoenix...