Safeway adding IBM/Toshiba self checkout

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Safeway adding IBM/Toshiba self checkout

Post by storewanderer »

The machines have come a long ways in efficiency too; they process a lot more transactions in a day than they used to since they've gotten so much faster and easier to use.

Self checkout is simply essential in helping to get people in and out of the store faster. It doesn't work well in every environment (seems to be a flop at Pilot/Flying J due simply to lack of customer use and the high number of purchases of things like cigarettes that need an employee, and I'm not so sure it works very well at CVS either) but in the grocery environment it has been a home run.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

submariner wrote:They're easy to hate on, but don't forget how much better they've gotten since the original Fujitsu (née Optimal) U-Scan kiosks started showing up back at the turn of the century

(editor's royal decree: "turn of the century" now refers to the transition from 1999 to 2000)
Looks like a bit like a Lucky, but I think I see a Kroger logo in the background.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Lucky never had self checkouts when it was taken over by Albertsons. Albertsons introduced self checkout several years later.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

pseudo3d wrote:
submariner wrote:They're easy to hate on, but don't forget how much better they've gotten since the original Fujitsu (née Optimal) U-Scan kiosks started showing up back at the turn of the century

(editor's royal decree: "turn of the century" now refers to the transition from 1999 to 2000)
Looks like a bit like a Lucky, but I think I see a Kroger logo in the background.
It is a Kroger. Kroger was the first store to roll out self-checkouts en masse in 1999.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote:The machines have come a long ways in efficiency too; they process a lot more transactions in a day than they used to since they've gotten so much faster and easier to use.

Self checkout is simply essential in helping to get people in and out of the store faster. It doesn't work well in every environment (seems to be a flop at Pilot/Flying J due simply to lack of customer use and the high number of purchases of things like cigarettes that need an employee, and I'm not so sure it works very well at CVS either) but in the grocery environment it has been a home run.
I've only been in 2 CVS locations where the staff really knows how to get customers to use CVS self-checkout. Manhattan Beach and West Hollywood. Almost all transactions in Manhattan Beach are conducted at self-checkout. One staff member always actively helping out. CVS should take their example to other stores with self-checkout. Manhattan Beach (next to Ralphs Fresh Fare) is one of the best managed CVS stores I've ever seen.
submariner

Post by submariner »

CalItalian wrote:
storewanderer wrote:The machines have come a long ways in efficiency too; they process a lot more transactions in a day than they used to since they've gotten so much faster and easier to use.

I've only been in 2 CVS locations where the staff really knows how to get customers to use CVS self-checkout. Manhattan Beach and West Hollywood. Almost all transactions in Manhattan Beach are conducted at self-checkout. One staff member always actively helping out. CVS should take their example to other stores with self-checkout. Manhattan Beach (next to Ralphs Fresh Fare) is one of the best managed CVS stores I've ever seen.
The new CVS across the street from Disneyland is this way as well. The street side entrance is pretty much 1:1 manned/self-serve checkouts (with three manned checkouts by the rear entrance). The staff are pretty quick to point you to self-service when the manned registers are in use. The store based on it's location sees a lot of foot traffic and sells a very large assortment of souvenirs and travel-size items as well.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

I only used one CVS one (happened to be Boston, near Faneuil Hall) and only for one item, I think it worked OK for that.
Not sure how they decide where to put them, as I haven't ever seen one in our area among a dozen+ stores that I might visit at different points.

I seem to remember seeing self checkouts that look quite similar to that one you show from Kroger in the (fairly) recent past, but not certain exactly where - maybe one of the chains that no longer exists (say an A&P or Pathmark) used that type as well? That would probably make sense, that they might have held onto them longer with their financial issues in later years?
submariner

Post by submariner »

BillyGr wrote:I only used one CVS one (happened to be Boston, near Faneuil Hall) and only for one item, I think it worked OK for that.
Not sure how they decide where to put them, as I haven't ever seen one in our area among a dozen+ stores that I might visit at different points.

I seem to remember seeing self checkouts that look quite similar to that one you show from Kroger in the (fairly) recent past, but not certain exactly where - maybe one of the chains that no longer exists (say an A&P or Pathmark) used that type as well? That would probably make sense, that they might have held onto them longer with their financial issues in later years?
In Michigan Farmer Jack rolled the same machines out shortly after Kroger. It would stand to reason other A&P properties did as well.

But that's probably enough diversion on the history of Self Checkout... If you want to feel old, realize they were deployed almost two decades ago.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

I find it odd that Safeway is still messing with self-checkouts, when other divisions (Acme mainly, I'm not sure about other Albertsons divisions) are ditching them as soon as they remodel a store, and it's leading to tons of complaints about checkouts, as the manned express lanes that replaced them never seem to be properly staffed.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Labor is much more expensive in California. Cashiers can make nearly $20. You can bet that Albertsons had second thoughts and is now bringing back self checkouts to cut down on costs.

Other states pay much less and perhaps those divisions feel they don't need self checkouts.