Albertsons/Safeway 2018 & 2019: Openings and Closings

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: Albertsons/Safeway 2018: Openings and Closings

Post by pseudo3d »

I've been slacking in updating the main list, but the former Randalls 34th Street had banners announcing it would become El Rancho, the first I'd heard about this officially.
High Plains Traveler
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by High Plains Traveler »

I don't know if store closings are complete in Pueblo CO, but the notable thing is that the remaining Albertsons is nearing completion of its remodeling, and it will stay Albertsons. The new wall decor inside incorporates the company logo in the background. This leaves only two Albertsons stores in Colorado: Pueblo and Durango. I wonder if the company is maintaining the name at these stores for trademark preservation in the state. The combined ad in the local paper is continuing, not surprisingly because the offerings under both names are about the same. The Safeway in Pueblo West was also remodeled, though I don't think it's quite identical in its rearranged state to the remodeled Albertsons store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

2522 Foulk Road, Wilmington, DE.
Former Genuardi's.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: September 11th, 2018, 8:25 pm 2522 Foulk Road, Wilmington, DE.
Former Genuardi's.
There’s an ACME across the street, so figures that it would close at some point.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

Vons is closing their La Habra store on Imperial Hwy. Saw this at the Whittwood store, as they had a sign that the prescriptions were transferred to that store. Store closes 10-12.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Jeff wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 8:04 pm Vons is closing their La Habra store on Imperial Hwy. Saw this at the Whittwood store, as they had a sign that the prescriptions were transferred to that store. Store closes 10-12.
Nice looking former Smiths that looks extremely spacious inside. I see it has a barber shop tenant and jewelry repair tenant, it appears, in the space that would have been Smiths entryway? Albertsons should have been able to merchandise this better. Safeway was clueless on merchandising large stores like this due to their limited non foods mix and almost nonexistant seasonal mix but Albertsons has that expanded non food.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 11:25 pm Nice looking former Smiths that looks extremely spacious inside.
It was roughly 25 years ago that Smiths made their ill-fated re-entry into Southern California and I would imagine this store is coming off lease.

Those stores were way to big and I'm surprised they didn't downsize it when they did what appears to be a very thorough lifestyle remodel.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

klkla wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 1:56 pm
storewanderer wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 11:25 pm Nice looking former Smiths that looks extremely spacious inside.
It was roughly 25 years ago that Smiths made their ill-fated re-entry into Southern California and I would imagine this store is coming off lease.

Those stores were way to big and I'm surprised they didn't downsize it when they did what appears to be a very thorough lifestyle remodel.
Albertsons is also up the street on Beach/Whittier in La Habra.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

(EDIT: Never mind, I see it's already on the list.)

Not sure when it happened, but I saw that an Albertson's location at Evergreen Way and Madison in Everett WA closed recently. This one was just a couple of blocks away from one Safeway store and about a mile away from another one, so it was likely redundant.