Albertsons/Safeway 2018 & 2019: Openings and Closings

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Albertsons/Safeway 2018 & 2019: Openings and Closings

Post by arizonaguy »

I've got another Arizona store closure to report:

Safeway: 11275 E Vía Linda, Scottsdale, AZ 85259

This is a Lifestyle 1.0 store that is across the street from an Albertsons turned Haggen turned Albertsons. It's in a wealthy neighborhood and I'd imagine both stores were profitable but the Albertsons is larger and easier to access.
klkla

Post by klkla »

arizonaguy wrote: July 4th, 2019, 6:48 pm I've got another Arizona store closure to report:

This is a Lifestyle 1.0 store that is across the street from an Albertsons turned Haggen turned Albertsons. It's in a wealthy neighborhood and I'd imagine both stores were profitable but the Albertsons is larger and easier to access.
The shopping center was built in 1992 so they would be 27 years into a lease, assuming they don't own it. It will be interesting to see if this is an issue where the lease is going to expire or they know they can close it without worrying about another grocer taking over the space, which would be the case if they own it.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

klkla wrote: July 5th, 2019, 6:38 pm
arizonaguy wrote: July 4th, 2019, 6:48 pm I've got another Arizona store closure to report:

The shopping center was built in 1992 so they would be 27 years into a lease, assuming they don't own it. It will be interesting to see if this is an issue where the lease is going to expire or they know they can close it without worrying about another grocer taking over the space, which would be the case if they own it.

County tax records indicate Safeway Inc. as the owner.

What's interesting is it looks like Albertsons bought its store across the street from its landlord in 2016. So, the company owns both the closing location and the operating location across the street.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: July 5th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I think it is a given Kroger isn't about to move into a 50k square foot 27 year old store. Whole Foods could be a concern, or subdividing over to Sprouts.

Is the Albertsons keeping that banner or re-bannering over to Safeway? That was a pretty large Albertsons...
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: July 5th, 2019, 11:53 pm I think it is a given Kroger isn't about to move into a 50k square foot 27 year old store. Whole Foods could be a concern, or subdividing over to Sprouts.
If they own both properties I don't think they will want to lease it to a grocery chain at all. Is Hobby Lobby still building stores LOL? For a while they were taking over a lot of shuttered supermarkets.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: July 6th, 2019, 9:11 am
storewanderer wrote: July 5th, 2019, 11:53 pm I think it is a given Kroger isn't about to move into a 50k square foot 27 year old store. Whole Foods could be a concern, or subdividing over to Sprouts.
If they own both properties I don't think they will want to lease it to a grocery chain at all. Is Hobby Lobby still building stores LOL? For a while they were taking over a lot of shuttered supermarkets.
It will be interesting to see what they do. I expect them to sell and deed restrict it.

Hobby Lobby opened 54 stores in 2018 and relocated 20 stores in 2018. Their stores I am familiar with in Reno (former Service Merchandise, giant store) and Roseville (former Mervyns and I'm not sure they use all the space) are both very very busy places when they're open... (not late at night and not on Sunday). Slowest checkout ever. No scanners for products yet they have scanners to scan coupons... something about the company thinking scanners have some sort of risk when used. Funny it is okay to have them for coupons but not to scan products.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Hobby Lobby is so backwards. A cashier used to not be able to void an item without a CSM approval. You had to get a CSM (manager) to approve. Probably to prevent employees from undercharging friends or relatives.

I would think that a preferred replacement would be Ross or Burlington. They are non grocery stores that attract lots of potential customers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: July 6th, 2019, 11:29 am Hobby Lobby is so backwards. A cashier used to not be able to void an item without a CSM approval. You had to get a CSM (manager) to approve. Probably to prevent employees from undercharging friends or relatives.

I would think that a preferred replacement would be Ross or Burlington. They are non grocery stores that attract lots of potential customers.
Rite Aid used to be like that too. A void or price modify of even 25 cents in value required manager approval. They changed it and now it is some sort of random thing likely based on dollar amount and some sort of algorithms.

In the case of Hobby Lobby where the cashier has to hand key every single price in (cannot believe a chain with hundreds of stores and POS systems that supports scanning and even has scanners hidden on the side is doing this in 2019...), I can see how there would be more errors than average requiring voids... and their checkout is slow. They don't have shelf tags either... I wonder how they order products. Maybe there is a secret ordering book somewhere. At least they accept Chip cards.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: July 6th, 2019, 12:28 pm Rite Aid used to be like that too. A void or price modify of even 25 cents in value required manager approval. They changed it and now it is some sort of random thing likely based on dollar amount and some sort of algorithms.
The original Datachecker registers in SoCal used by Safeway were even worse. You had to do something called an "o buff' in which a manager had to void the entire sale, which caused the system to un-scan every item one a time. It could take quite a while with larger orders.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: July 6th, 2019, 9:52 am
klkla wrote: July 6th, 2019, 9:11 am
It will be interesting to see what they do. I expect them to sell and deed restrict it.

Hobby Lobby opened 54 stores in 2018 and relocated 20 stores in 2018. Their stores I am familiar with in Reno (former Service Merchandise, giant store) and Roseville (former Mervyns and I'm not sure they use all the space) are both very very busy places when they're open... (not late at night and not on Sunday). Slowest checkout ever. No scanners for products yet they have scanners to scan coupons... something about the company thinking scanners have some sort of risk when used. Funny it is okay to have them for coupons but not to scan products.
I'd expect it may become either a trampoline park, fitness center or a Goodwill or a combination of the two (which are what most of the recently closed ex-Safeways have become). In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it were to become EOS Fitness (as they have taken over the former Albertsons at 59th Ave / Beardsley and the former Safeway at 59th Ave / Thunderbird).