'United Natural Foods to buy Eden Prairie-based Supervalu for $1.26 billion'

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: 'United Natural Foods to buy Eden Prairie-based Supervalu for $1.26 billion'

Post by pseudo3d »

bm11k wrote: November 5th, 2018, 4:05 am http://www.startribune.com/cub-executiv ... 499446901/

Looks like they are looking to sell Cub as a whole
The high percentage of leased stores and lack of distribution centers make it a hard sell for anybody. MAYBE Roundy's/Kroger could buy it but I don't think it will do them a whole lot of good.
storewanderer

Re: 'United Natural Foods to buy Eden Prairie-based Supervalu for $1.26 billion'

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: November 5th, 2018, 9:53 am
bm11k wrote: November 5th, 2018, 4:05 am http://www.startribune.com/cub-executiv ... 499446901/

Looks like they are looking to sell Cub as a whole
The high percentage of leased stores and lack of distribution centers make it a hard sell for anybody. MAYBE Roundy's/Kroger could buy it but I don't think it will do them a whole lot of good.
Some Cub Stores are franchises, still. So if they sell, I wonder if a banner change will be necessary. I expect Albertsons to be the buyer and they will get the stores cheap. With Hy Vee expanding in the twin cities, that is probably a suicide mission because Hy Vee will run circles around them on service, mix, store operations, and probably even price. I also do not expect to see Kroger as the buyer. Kroger does not seem to have a formula to compete effectively with Hy Vee; they seem to generally run away from Hy Vee. Specifically the Dillons division. Those few Dillons in Kansas City suburbs, Dillons in Springfield, MO; Gerbes in Columbia, MO; they just run from Hy Vee. It is very unusual for Kroger to not have a formula to compete, but Hy Vee is an unusual competitor. They will eventually need to learn how to compete with Hy Vee because Hy Vee will keep expanding its territory outside the current areas. Hy Vee is a more difficult and more effective competitor than Publix but they stay under the radar since they operate in a less popular region.
bm11k
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by bm11k »

Hornbacher's sold to Coborns
https://kfgo.com/news/articles/2018/nov ... borns-inc/

they will pretty much control market share after this
as they also own Cash Wise
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Interesting they have one store under construction. These stores look pretty nice and look like actual conventional stores... I thought most of Supervalu's corporate stores were always some variant on a warehouse format but this banner doesn't appear to be that sort of thing.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: December 1st, 2018, 12:00 am Interesting they have one store under construction. These stores look pretty nice and look like actual conventional stores... I thought most of Supervalu's corporate stores were always some variant on a warehouse format but this banner doesn't appear to be that sort of thing.
Based on the Wikipedia entry, Hornbacher's was acquired by SuperValu in 1975, before they were conceiving of warehouse stores. Apparently they had the good sense not to mess with a successful format.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

This headline should actually be about UNFI (typical OregonLive these days) unless the "SuperValu" name still exists on paper?

SuperValu to close Milwaukie, Auburn, Tacoma warehouses