Kroger to stop offering paper bags with handles

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Kroger to stop offering paper bags with handles

Post by storewanderer »

https://www.freep.com/story/money/busin ... 931810002/

Interesting they only offered these in some stores to begin with. Smiths has had paper bags with handles in all stores for years.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Kroger to stop offering paper bags with handles

Post by rwsandiego »

For the longest time, the default bag at Ralphs was a handled paper bag. They did away with that a few years ago.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

rwsandiego wrote: February 21st, 2019, 9:07 pm For the longest time, the default bag at Ralphs was a handled paper bag. They did away with that a few years ago.
Not completely. My Online delivery came in the handled paper bags.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

submariner wrote: February 21st, 2019, 9:29 pm
rwsandiego wrote: February 21st, 2019, 9:07 pm For the longest time, the default bag at Ralphs was a handled paper bag. They did away with that a few years ago.
Not completely. My Online delivery came in the handled paper bags.
Maybe only some locations had bags with handles. I find it funny this article says it was in "upper income areas." And they only want to stock one type of paper bag. Well I have an idea, stock the paper bag with handles in all stores then (like Smiths does)...

I guess I am used to a market where everyone has those paper bags with handles: Raleys, Trader Joe's Whole Foods all give those handled paper bags generously and have for years. Smith's has them but paper bags are not exactly freely offered there. Safeway may or may not have handles but it is really hard to get a paper bag there in the first place in places where plastic bags are still default.