Kroger sells Turkey Hill brand

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Kroger sells Turkey Hill brand

Post by storewanderer »

I notice Turkey Hill is now in the business of premium ice cream bars. There was an entire endcap display at Grocery Outlet, only .99 for a 3 count box. Flavors like strawberry chocolate, cherry chocolate, triple chocolate. I was curious to see where these were made, if they were made at a Kroger plant or at the PA plant. Looking at the date I couldn't see anything that resembled a plant code.

Finally I saw on the box, "Product of Croatia."

I guess this is one way to make more money with the brand.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: March 7th, 2020, 11:38 pm I notice Turkey Hill is now in the business of premium ice cream bars. There was an entire endcap display at Grocery Outlet, only .99 for a 3 count box. Flavors like strawberry chocolate, cherry chocolate, triple chocolate. I was curious to see where these were made, if they were made at a Kroger plant or at the PA plant. Looking at the date I couldn't see anything that resembled a plant code.

Finally I saw on the box, "Product of Croatia."

I guess this is one way to make more money with the brand.
My Grocery Outlet in Pennsylvania also had a large stock of these, although they have been around in my area for a few years (and quite more expensive at the conventional grocers). I wonder if they aren't selling well. They taste good, but it is odd they are imported from so far away.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Interesting, so that means these actually got developed under Kroger then. I wonder if they previously were made in the US then at some point the sourcing arrangement changed.

I wonder how these were presented at the "Turkey Hill Experience."
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

If these premium ice cream products are selling at Grocery Outlet it means that the factory is making too many of them. The factory has to sell them to Grocery Outlet at a loss since there is so much unwanted product. Grocery Outlet is all about selling closeouts, overstocks, excessive inventory, and products nearing expiration. This means that this premium ice cream brand is not selling well, and selling it at Grocery Outlet just hurts its premium image. People will not pay full price at regular supermarkets once they realize that they can get it at a lower price at these discount grocery stores.