Kroger (retail) Q1 2019 - store sales flat, e-commerce up

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Kroger (retail) Q1 2019 - store sales flat, e-commerce up

Post by SamSpade »

This was a blip on PBS' nightly business report, which led me to try to find a print source for y'all.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-krog ... SKCN1TL1FC
Most press headlines were pretty negative in a Google News search.
Analysts said the soft numbers showed the company was struggling to attract shoppers despite slashing prices to keep up in a crowded U.S. grocery market.

“With the U.S. economy doing really well, particularly with the middle-income consumer, which is Kroger’s consumer ... the very tepid same-store sales growth has got people pretty nervous,” Scott Mushkin, an analyst with Wolfe Research said.
storewanderer

Re: Kroger (retail) Q1 2019 - store sales flat, e-commerce up

Post by storewanderer »

And they got where they got with a ton of price increases on center store and less sale/promotion items.

Oh and that little no Visa card rule at Smiths. Beyond purchases of gift cards however, that has not really impacted how much actual merchandise I purchase at Smiths.

I shop Smiths less now than I have in over a decade due to the price increases that have been made. If I am going to pay Raleys type prices (Raleys is still higher than Smiths across the board but on many items they are very very close now thanks to Smiths increases), I want Raleys type quality, a Raleys looking store, and ample service levels. Smiths just isn't at that level.