Amazon drops monthly fee for AmazonFresh delivery

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Amazon drops monthly fee for AmazonFresh delivery

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://komonews.com/news/business/amaz ... 10-29-2019

Amazon is dropping the $15 monthly fee for AmazonFresh grocery deliveryin favor of requiring a standard Amazon Prime membership and a $35 minimum order. A $5 tip for the driver is still suggested but optional. Can't say I'm too familiar with the service since I live in an area where it isn't available, but it seems that this market has become a lot more competitive as of late.
Alpha8472

Re: Amazon drops monthly fee for AmazonFresh delivery

Post by Alpha8472 »

Amazon is trying to compete with Safeway delivery by eliminating the fee.

Safeway delivery drivers cannot accept tips. They are required to refuse tips. In fact, at Safeway people were fired for taking tips. For example, at the Starbucks kiosk customers always left tips. The employees had to put the tips in the cash register as the property of Safeway. The register was always over at the end of the day.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 27th, 2019, 11:56 amSafeway delivery drivers cannot accept tips. They are required to refuse tips. In fact, at Safeway people were fired for taking tips.
This is because of the union contract.

Here in Southern California bartenders at the bars inside of Ralphs and Gelson's are not allowed to take tips for the same reason. Same with courtesy clerks (baggers).

Firing seems pretty extreme, though. Sometimes the customers get offended if the employee doesn't accept it. In those situations it's best just to report it to the manager. They're usually very understanding in those circumstances.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

klkla - I never thought about it being part of a union bargaining arrangement.
Albertsons had that policy posted with their store hours signs at the entrance to stores for years.

My sister tried to leave a tip a few times by leaving it "on the counter" at the Fred Meyer bar; sad to learn that it had to go into the cash register. The barkeep was very polite about the 'no tipping' policy.

I think here the Safeway Starbucks kiosks have a place for tips, but it may be a secured "store donation" box similar to the ones at registers for miscellaneous change that chains have offered over the years.