Kroger "big announcement coming" on branding

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Kroger "big announcement coming" on branding

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:44 pm But this song is flat out inappropriate to use in a grocery store ad advertising low prices. Tone deaf- beyond words yes. This looks like the sort of ad an, uh, adult pleasure facility, would use.

To be blunt, this entire ad campaign has simply been total garbage. This just brings it to a new low.

It does not make me think fresh food. It makes me think of someone trying to sell toys. The new Kroger logo looks sterile, boring, and unprofessional compared to the older Kroger logo which looked polished and dignified.
I watched the Ralphs version of this ad. It was pretty stupid, to be honest. I agree with the points made in the Forbes article.
And I thought this 2011 SVU Albertsons ad was stupid:

Remember when Albertsons used Patricia Heaton (from Everybody Loves Raymond) for advertising in the Larry Johnston days?
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Super S wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:29 pm Between that and the "I'm too sexy" commercial they aired prior to this, it seems they are pushing the envelope a little. It also coincides with Fred Meyer switching to now requiring a card for sale prices.
Kroger is basically treating Fred Meyer stores like oversized Ralphs, by reducing general merchandise, eliminating electronics, and requiring a card, not to mention using the slogan standard across all Kroger banners: "Fresh For Everyone".
Before Kroger dumbed down Fred Meyer, you could walk out of the store (which was very upscale compared to Wally World) having purchased a camping tent, fishing supplies, a TV, underwear, and milk, all in one stop. Their old slogan "You'll find it at Fred Meyer" made a lot of sense. It's pretty sad what Kroger has done to Fred Meyer.
klkla

Post by klkla »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: October 28th, 2020, 11:20 am Remember when Albertsons used Patricia Heaton (from Everybody Loves Raymond) for advertising in the Larry Johnston days?
Yes. That was in the "Helping make your life easier" campaign.

It was a great campaign and IMO was compelling. Unfortunately the store they advertised didn't match the stores they operated.
Super S

Post by Super S »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: October 28th, 2020, 11:36 am
Kroger is basically treating Fred Meyer stores like oversized Ralphs, by reducing general merchandise, eliminating electronics, and requiring a card, not to mention using the slogan standard across all Kroger banners: "Fresh For Everyone".
Before Kroger dumbed down Fred Meyer, you could walk out of the store (which was very upscale compared to Wally World) having purchased a camping tent, fishing supplies, a TV, underwear, and milk, all in one stop. Their old slogan "You'll find it at Fred Meyer" made a lot of sense. It's pretty sad what Kroger has done to Fred Meyer.
The sad thing is that the reduction in general merchandise is not consistent. Some locations still have electronics. Some do not. Clothing departments are very inconsistent in size and layout from one store to the next.

And it's really sad that some Walmart locations actually look BETTER than many recent Fred Meyer remodels.

The "Fresh for everyone" slogan doesn't work so well on the GM side when you see sale tags with that slogan on things like antifreeze and weed killer, among other things that you do not eat.

I have pretty much stopped shopping at Fred Meyer altogether. I think I have maybe purchased three gallons of milk there since the card revision took effect. That's it. I used to make about half of my grocery purchases there.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote: October 29th, 2020, 10:06 am Back to the Kroger campaign the language used, tone of voice, and connotation in the song is directly offensive and inappropriate (classless) due to its words and tone as you hear it verbally.
Not as cringey or classless as this though:

Kroger used the words "I'm too sexy" here:
Last edited by retailfanmitchell019 on October 29th, 2020, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

klkla wrote: October 28th, 2020, 12:27 pm Yes. That was in the "Helping make your life easier" campaign.

It was a great campaign and IMO was compelling. Unfortunately the store they advertised didn't match the stores they operated.
Of course, the Albertsons they used in those Patricia Heaton ads (done from mid-2003 until early 2007) was the store in Calabasas, being the nicest store in the entire Albertsons chain, not to mention being in the 30 mile "studio zone". The Westlake Village Albertsons (became Haggen, then Smart & Final) was used in some of the "It's Your Store" commercials around 2000.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

This discussion has run its course and I've had to delete several posts with prohibited subject matter.

Remember the rules. I don't want to ban people.