Kroger divests interest in Lucky's Market

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Kroger divests interest in Lucky's Market

Post by storewanderer »

It appears the FL Store that the Lucky's founders were planning to keep will end up with Winn Dixie (!!!).

That sure blows up this story... https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news ... 596726002/

It will be interesting to see what comes of the other locations they planned to keep, if they get outbid on any of those.
Bakeragr
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by Bakeragr »

On Kroger’s corporate site, they have information detailing the states they have a presence in and what divisions cover which states.
This map of their divisions is provided. Kind of interesting, they list Lucky’s as a division and have them shown for Florida. This is about the only time I’ve seen Lucky’s logo shown on Kroger materials.
I wonder if they were very close to absorbing them. It’d be interesting to find out how this all unraveled.
https://www.thekrogerco.com/wp-content/ ... ns_Map.pdf
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Bakeragr wrote: February 6th, 2020, 6:23 am On Kroger’s corporate site, they have information detailing the states they have a presence in and what divisions cover which states.
This map of their divisions is provided. Kind of interesting, they list Lucky’s as a division and have them shown for Florida. This is about the only time I’ve seen Lucky’s logo shown on Kroger materials.
I wonder if they were very close to absorbing them. It’d be interesting to find out how this all unraveled.
https://www.thekrogerco.com/wp-content/ ... ns_Map.pdf
...and not one mention of the poor single Harris Teeter in Florida, which Kroger actually expanded by about 50% a few years ago. When Albertsons was in Florida, it was in their ABS/SWY marketing materials, even if they only had three stores. (It's also interesting seeing that map, as it makes a lot of sense why the Kroger Southwest Division in Texas WAS called that, it's the Southwest of the eastern half of the United States, which Kroger dominates).
Erik-the-red

Post by Erik-the-red »

So I am a contractor for Luckys. Kroger backed them to make a break into Florida. We were building so many stores. How did Kroger let it get so bad? We recently completed some stores that they didn't even open. Port Charlotte and Bonita springs. They were complete. All they needed was groceries. We moth balled them. We also built a dc in orlando. They said they were working on a software upgrade I believe they were trying to get out from underneath kroger. I install the cameras, it cabling and sound equipment. We just finished Dania beach was almost done in Kendall and was 50% complete in fort myers. Kroger divested. We knew they relied on Kroger not only for cash but for purchasing power. Now they had to renegotiate terms with suppliers. Things got weird. They closed the jobsite down and boarded up the windows. October of 2019 I was told they planned to build 100 stores over the next 5years. If they were losing 20 to 30 million a year how could they keep that keep that kind of growth? I am owed 100k. Maybe I will get it. Bo Sharon shouldn't get to keep anything. The stores he wants are the ones before kroger. Before lucky I did fresh markets. They ain't building no more but they never screwed me.
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote: February 6th, 2020, 5:55 pm ...and not one mention of the poor single Harris Teeter in Florida, which Kroger actually expanded by about 50% a few years ago. When Albertsons was in Florida, it was in their ABS/SWY marketing materials, even if they only had three stores.
The Harris Teeter in Florida makes sense because it is at the very Northern part of state near their stores in coastal Georgia, where the brand is already known.

The three Safeway stores in Florida never made any sense.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Erik-the-red wrote: February 6th, 2020, 7:12 pm So I am a contractor for Luckys. Kroger backed them to make a break into Florida. We were building so many stores. How did Kroger let it get so bad? We recently completed some stores that they didn't even open. Port Charlotte and Bonita springs. They were complete. All they needed was groceries. We moth balled them. We also built a dc in orlando. They said they were working on a software upgrade I believe they were trying to get out from underneath kroger. I install the cameras, it cabling and sound equipment. We just finished Dania beach was almost done in Kendall and was 50% complete in fort myers. Kroger divested. We knew they relied on Kroger not only for cash but for purchasing power. Now they had to renegotiate terms with suppliers. Things got weird. They closed the jobsite down and boarded up the windows. October of 2019 I was told they planned to build 100 stores over the next 5years. If they were losing 20 to 30 million a year how could they keep that keep that kind of growth? I am owed 100k. Maybe I will get it. Bo Sharon shouldn't get to keep anything. The stores he wants are the ones before kroger. Before lucky I did fresh markets. They ain't building no more but they never screwed me.
Wow.......almost sounds like the Fresh & Easy disaster!

Sorry to hear :|
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... 29-million

So it looks like only the two CO stores that were planned to be kept by Luckys, will be kept. The bids for these stores weren't terribly high (none even got $1 million) so I am wondering if Luckys opted to not keep far flung stores in light of recent events.

The MO Store is going to Schnucks. The two OH Stores are going to "Dave's Market." The MI Store is going to a local co-op (great for them, wish more of these locations had gone that way).
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: March 31st, 2020, 10:59 pm The two OH Stores are going to "Dave's Market." The MI Store is going to a local co-op (great for them, wish more of these locations had gone that way).
Makes sense - that Dave's "chain" in the Cleveland area looks to have around 13 stores currently, but then again that area for some odd reason has very little in the way of major chains.

A couple that were there in the past moved out (even prior to their overall disappearance for some) - basically Giant Eagle is the only one you'll find widely spread throughout that part of the state, while each section (like this one in Cleveland, others in Akron or similar cities) seems to have its own mini chain (or two) like this.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Dave's appears to be somehow involved with Giant Eagle. I am not clear what the connection is. It appears Giant Eagle passed off some "bad neighborhood" stores to Dave's a decade ago. It also appears Giant Eagle supplies Dave's and also provides its IT (registers and shelf tags are all same as Giant Eagle uses).