Coronavirus Fears and Empty Supermarkets

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Coronavirus Fears and Empty Supermarkets

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: March 25th, 2020, 11:59 pm
babs wrote: March 25th, 2020, 11:30 pm
CalItalian wrote: March 25th, 2020, 10:56 pm Aldi has, unfortunately in my view, used the coronavirus to raise staples prices. Large eggs, which were regular priced for many weeks $1.19/dozen, are now $1.59.
There is an egg shortage driving up prices: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/business ... index.html
$1.59 is well below cost. Wholesale prices of large eggs jumped 79c week over week in Southern California. Even before the hysteria, retailers were paying over $1.59 wholesale. California (and Southern California in particular) pays the highest wholesale prices for eggs, given that voters approved a humane, cage free law that increased supply cost. It applies to chickens for consumption soon, so goodbye 99c/lb. chicken breast meat, and hello $5/lb. But anyway, I'm surprised Aldi is still offering such a huge loss leader. Walmart (Irvine) hiked its price (large dozen) up to $2.29, and Albertsons wants a ridiculous $4.49. But... people are buying them as fast as they're stocking them.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/pybshellegg.pdf

I stopped by the Albertsons in LF tonight, just out of curiosity. They had signs posted on the entrance and near each impacted item indicating that 'we plan our ads weeks in advance ... we did our best to pull them but some customers still received one ... please note that due to supply issues, we were unable to secure savings on the following items.' It was just the meat and butter, for the most part. There were other small changes, like the pasta limit was lowered from 6 to 2. (Interesting word choice blaming suppliers, given the butter on sale is Albertsons-produced Lucerne). The LF location had quite a bit of pasta available as well, but it was going fast, and neither location I was in today advertised the J4U pricing.

About a year ago, Albertsons ran an ad that included a half-dozen free items available to everybody using J4U. Of course, these stores saw so little foot traffic that even on the last day of the sale, plenty of stock remained. Man, I miss those times, although this ensures the chain will stick around much longer. On the note of J4U, we have two accounts. I've noticed that if you 'clip' an offer on both accounts, redeem it on one, and try to redeem it on the other using the same credit card, the savings definitely do not come off. This started happening a couple months ago, so they're getting smarter.
Doesn't the terminal apply the discounts before you run the payment card though?

Or does it discount- then un-discount before payment finalizes?
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: March 25th, 2020, 11:22 pmI am noticing price increases across the board on staple food items all over the place. Enjoy couponing and ad shopping now because I am expecting a dry spell immediately. Then I am expecting a glut of deals due to the hording of certain items which will make sales on those items plummet over the coming months. I guess you are already having a dry spell in SoCal with not all stores running ads. Up here in Reno, everyone still has an ad, and in most cases these ads are pretty good still. Raleys has no $5 Monday this week and Smiths ad is a lot smaller than usual, though.
Sunday's coupon inserts were anemic, as were the coupons loaded onto both Albertsons (powered by coupons.com) and Ralphs (not sure who powers it) apps. I expect things will get tight going forward. But retailers may find a way to get creative. I went into 99 Cent Only and the usual supply of overstocked products by Kraft (tons of different brands and varieties) wasn't there, as expected, but they filled the void with various frozen and cold items from Mexico. Lots and lots of Mexican groceries! Also of interest, is a large amount of Giant Eagle-branded products throughout the store. I thought the manufacture was local, but now I'm second guessing, given the variety. They also had tons of Skippy's version of Uncrustables, 10 pack, for $2.99. Excellent deal IMO.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

BTW, if anybody needs toilet paper, and there's a Smart & Final near you, just an FYI that the location near me had TONS of 4-packs of generic "First Street" for $1.89. It's pretty pricey on a square footage basis, but it's better than wiping your behind with newspapers or your good washcloths.
storewanderer wrote: March 26th, 2020, 12:12 amDoesn't the terminal apply the discounts before you run the payment card though?

It reversed the discount. The specific item I purchased was 12 packs of Coke; the offer was limited to one per household, but didn't require a J4U coupon. I purchased 5 cases last week under one phone, then 5 more under another.* My total shot up about $30. It's possible that Albertsons has internally linked our two accounts based on prior credit purchases, given that I usually swipe my card while the cashier is still ringing my order. They need self-checkouts - they haven't reinstalled them at my local stores (I'm hoping the one under renovation gets them) and only the location across from UCI (in which they were never pulled from) has them, but I don't frequent that location.

*And no, we don't drink that much soda, thanks for asking. I'm replenishing the pantry at my place of work. Usually we use Amazon or Albertsons Delivery, but I figured I might as well keep myself busy while saving the company some money; plus, it gives me an excuse to check out various stores! Albertsons Delivery has completely different pricing from stores to begin with -- usually cheaper, ironically, but they don't do loss leaders like soda.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: March 25th, 2020, 11:22 pm Wow- that Perris WinCo sounds like literal hell. But I've never heard music in a WinCo before...

Nothing like this at the Reno WinCo as of Saturday night when I last went in there. What were the employees in the parking lot watching for? People running out with carts un-paid for? With the bag ban, who even knows if they paid for it or not or just didn't pay the bag fee.

I am noticing price increases across the board on staple food items all over the place. Enjoy couponing and ad shopping now because I am expecting a dry spell immediately. Then I am expecting a glut of deals due to the hording of certain items which will make sales on those items plummet over the coming months. I guess you are already having a dry spell in SoCal with not all stores running ads. Up here in Reno, everyone still has an ad, and in most cases these ads are pretty good still. Raleys has no $5 Monday this week and Smiths ad is a lot smaller than usual, though.

What you describe of WinCo checkout, is what the Wal Mart near me did on Black Friday with caution tape and clothing racks, in an effort to get people to "form one line around the store." It is absolutely a fire hazard. The irony is traffic was very light and no line around the store ever formed, it was just confusing and a mess of traffic.
Two employees were stationed on the exterior of the store. They even had some bar stools for them. They were watching each person come out and their carts and making sure nobody was coming out of the "in" side (left side) or "in" the out side (right side) of the entrance/exit which I believe all Winco's have in the middle of the front of the store. They also blocked off (again with an iron gate and some tables) the area right inside the entrance (after the indoor cart area) where you could go to the hot food/pizza takeout area without going through the entire store. Self-checkout is right there, also.

The one item I prefer to buy at Winco is their own bleach. 96 oz. for .99 cents. It's been on sale for at least 6 months. Much cheaper than any other store in my area (Ralphs charges .97 cents for 60 oz., for example).
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

CalItalian wrote: March 25th, 2020, 10:56 pm Aldi has, unfortunately in my view, used the coronavirus to raise staples prices. Large eggs, which were regular priced for many weeks $1.19/dozen, are now $1.59.
There is an egg shortage driving up prices: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/business ... index.html
$1.59 is well below cost. Wholesale prices of large eggs jumped 79c week over week in Southern California. Even before the hysteria, retailers were paying over $1.59 wholesale. California (and Southern California in particular) pays the highest wholesale prices for eggs, given that voters approved a humane, cage free law that increased supply cost. It applies to chickens for consumption soon, so goodbye 99c/lb. chicken breast meat, and hello $5/lb. But anyway, I'm surprised Aldi is still offering such a huge loss leader. Walmart (Irvine) hiked its price (large dozen) up to $2.29, and Albertsons wants a ridiculous $4.49. But... people are buying them as fast as they're stocking them.

I stopped by the Albertsons in LF tonight, just out of curiosity. They had signs posted on the entrance and near each impacted item indicating that 'we plan our ads weeks in advance ... we did our best to pull them but some customers still received one ... please note that due to supply issues, we were unable to secure savings on the following items.' It was just the meat and butter, for the most part. There were other small changes, like the pasta limit was lowered from 6 to 2. (Interesting word choice blaming suppliers, given the butter on sale is Albertsons-produced Lucerne). The LF location had quite a bit of pasta available as well, but it was going fast, and neither location I was in today advertised the J4U pricing.

About a year ago, Albertsons ran an ad that included a half-dozen free items available to everybody using J4U. Of course, these stores saw so little foot traffic that even on the last day of the sale, plenty of stock remained. Man, I miss those times, although this ensures the chain will stick around much longer. On the note of J4U, we have two accounts. I've noticed that if you 'clip' an offer on both accounts, redeem it on one, and try to redeem it on the other using the same credit card, the savings definitely do not come off. This started happening a couple months ago, so they're getting smarter.
Eggs in the last 6 months have been advertised as low as .49 cents at Aldi here in SoCal. Sometime in January the last advertised sale price was .79 cents. They've been $1.19 regular price every week until at least two weeks ago. I was in Nevada last week so I didn't go to my local Aldi last week. Since I moved into my new home last summer and I'm only a couple of miles from Aldi, I buy all my eggs there.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: March 26th, 2020, 12:12 am

Doesn't the terminal apply the discounts before you run the payment card though?

From my experience with Vons & Pavilions, primarily, if you have multiple same Just for U coupons - manufacturer or store - the system sometimes takes them all off if you have more than one like item. But before payment, at the point you either hit payment or you scan a paper coupon, it might put some back on. I've run exact same orders back to back at self-checkout - under different Just for U accounts - and you never know what will occur & often times they will be different outcomes. Also, I've learned to scan certain items before others for Just for U coupons to stack. For example on Tuesday, I had Open Nature Hamburger $6.99 and a $2/1 Just 4 U coupon for any Open Nature meat item = $4.99. I also bought Foster Farms Chicken Breasts for .97 lb. The package was $5.01. I had a $3 off $10 Just 4 U coupon for any meat. I scanned the Open Nature hamburger first and then the chicken. Since $4.99 and $5.01 totaled $10, it also took the $3/10 off and my total was $7. BUT in the past, I've run a meat item before the Open Nature hamburger, both together totaling well over $12, but it would only take off the $3/10 Just for U any meat Just for U and the $2/1 Open Nature Just for U did not come off. Takes some trial and error to learn the ins and outs of their system but that is why I prefer using self-checkout - I can watch it all happen as I scan each item.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

CalItalian wrote: March 26th, 2020, 4:09 amEggs in the last 6 months have been advertised as low as .49 cents at Aldi here in SoCal. Sometime in January the last advertised sale price was .79 cents. They've been $1.19 regular price every week until at least two weeks ago. I was in Nevada last week so I didn't go to my local Aldi last week. Since I moved into my new home last summer and I'm only a couple of miles from Aldi, I buy all my eggs there.
Wholesale egg pricing hit a multiyear low last year (in Southern California, at least). Aldi uses eggs as its primary loss leader, but unless the price is advertised on the local circular, prices can vary from store to store. The store nearest me has built up its business, and has ended most of the heavily loss leaders it featured the first few years it was opened (including eggs). They're still the cheapest, but usually by a couple dimes, when it was previously a buck or so. The Ralphs up El Toro in Lake Forest use to match their egg pricing, but no longer. Ralphs and Albertsosn refused to lower their regional price on eggs, even after wholesale plummeted, but they were quick to raise it when prices started to go up. Reminds me of gas -- oil hit one of its lowest all-time prices (adjusted for inflation), yet the stations around me have come down a dime, and are still above $3.50/gallon. Meanwhile, the national average has dropped 50 cents.
CalItalian wrote: March 26th, 2020, 4:34 amFrom my experience with Vons & Pavilions, primarily, if you have multiple same Just for U coupons - manufacturer or store - the system sometimes takes them all off if you have more than one like item. But before payment, at the point you either hit payment or you scan a paper coupon, it might put some back on. I've run exact same orders back to back at self-checkout - under different Just for U accounts - and you never know what will occur & often times they will be different outcomes. Also, I've learned to scan certain items before others for Just for U coupons to stack. For example on Tuesday, I had Open Nature Hamburger $6.99 and a $2/1 Just 4 U coupon for any Open Nature meat item = $4.99. I also bought Foster Farms Chicken Breasts for .97 lb. The package was $5.01. I had a $3 off $10 Just 4 U coupon for any meat. I scanned the Open Nature hamburger first and then the chicken. Since $4.99 and $5.01 totaled $10, it also took the $3/10 off and my total was $7. BUT in the past, I've run a meat item before the Open Nature hamburger, both together totaling well over $12, but it would only take off the $3/10 Just for U any meat Just for U and the $2/1 Open Nature Just for U did not come off. Takes some trial and error to learn the ins and outs of their system but that is why I prefer using self-checkout - I can watch it all happen as I scan each item.
Thanks for the tips! Hopefully they put a self-checkout in the nearby store that's currently under renovation, and I'm able to figure this out better / have more control. But it's interesting to know you're still getting $ off coupons for various product categories (X off meat, X off produce, etc.) I use to get a $2 off $8 (or something like that) in produce coupon all the time, which made buying produce from Albertsons more bearable, given its high cost compared to even Ralphs. But I haven't gotten those in maybe a couple years.

We have two accounts -- one gets a $3 off $30, $4 off $40, $5 off $50 or $10 off $100 most weeks. The other one gets a ton of free offers, plus three bonus rewards when you spend $50 most weeks. The rest of the coupons are largely the same. Last year, one account got three "breakfast on us" coupons for free orange juice, eggs and sausage... and they reset each week for about two months! I'm sure it was unintentional, but it was pretty sweet while it lasted.

I did get a free custom sandwich coupon this week, but I doubt I'll be able to redeem it.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

There are multiple news outlets reporting that the wholesale price of produce, meat and dairy is swelling in response to the surge in demand/hoarding. Eggs were cited as the biggest increase, up over 200% at a national level, but many other items have seen increases in excess of 100%. The articles speculate that grocers will gradually pass on the cost increases, starting now.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Bagels wrote: March 26th, 2020, 6:28 amThanks for the tips! Hopefully they put a self-checkout in the nearby store that's currently under renovation, and I'm able to figure this out better / have more control. But it's interesting to know you're still getting $ off coupons for various product categories (X off meat, X off produce, etc.) I use to get a $2 off $8 (or something like that) in produce coupon all the time, which made buying produce from Albertsons more bearable, given its high cost compared to even Ralphs. But I haven't gotten those in maybe a couple years.
Seconded here, I haven't seen those in some time.
The only promotion Safeway seems to do here is $10 off $50 basket once a month. Of course I can't seem to plan quite right to ever hit that jackpot. :-( Maybe I'll be better now, if they don't discontinue it during this surge in demand.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Bagels wrote: March 26th, 2020, 6:28 am
CalItalian wrote: March 26th, 2020, 4:09 amEggs in the last 6 months have been advertised as low as .49 cents at Aldi here in SoCal. Sometime in January the last advertised sale price was .79 cents. They've been $1.19 regular price every week until at least two weeks ago. I was in Nevada last week so I didn't go to my local Aldi last week. Since I moved into my new home last summer and I'm only a couple of miles from Aldi, I buy all my eggs there.
Wholesale egg pricing hit a multiyear low last year (in Southern California, at least). Aldi uses eggs as its primary loss leader, but unless the price is advertised on the local circular, prices can vary from store to store. The store nearest me has built up its business, and has ended most of the heavily loss leaders it featured the first few years it was opened (including eggs). They're still the cheapest, but usually by a couple dimes, when it was previously a buck or so. The Ralphs up El Toro in Lake Forest use to match their egg pricing, but no longer. Ralphs and Albertsosn refused to lower their regional price on eggs, even after wholesale plummeted, but they were quick to raise it when prices started to go up. Reminds me of gas -- oil hit one of its lowest all-time prices (adjusted for inflation), yet the stations around me have come down a dime, and are still above $3.50/gallon. Meanwhile, the national average has dropped 50 cents.
CalItalian wrote: March 26th, 2020, 4:34 amFrom my experience with Vons & Pavilions, primarily, if you have multiple same Just for U coupons - manufacturer or store - the system sometimes takes them all off if you have more than one like item. But before payment, at the point you either hit payment or you scan a paper coupon, it might put some back on. I've run exact same orders back to back at self-checkout - under different Just for U accounts - and you never know what will occur & often times they will be different outcomes. Also, I've learned to scan certain items before others for Just for U coupons to stack. For example on Tuesday, I had Open Nature Hamburger $6.99 and a $2/1 Just 4 U coupon for any Open Nature meat item = $4.99. I also bought Foster Farms Chicken Breasts for .97 lb. The package was $5.01. I had a $3 off $10 Just 4 U coupon for any meat. I scanned the Open Nature hamburger first and then the chicken. Since $4.99 and $5.01 totaled $10, it also took the $3/10 off and my total was $7. BUT in the past, I've run a meat item before the Open Nature hamburger, both together totaling well over $12, but it would only take off the $3/10 Just for U any meat Just for U and the $2/1 Open Nature Just for U did not come off. Takes some trial and error to learn the ins and outs of their system but that is why I prefer using self-checkout - I can watch it all happen as I scan each item.
Thanks for the tips! Hopefully they put a self-checkout in the nearby store that's currently under renovation, and I'm able to figure this out better / have more control. But it's interesting to know you're still getting $ off coupons for various product categories (X off meat, X off produce, etc.) I use to get a $2 off $8 (or something like that) in produce coupon all the time, which made buying produce from Albertsons more bearable, given its high cost compared to even Ralphs. But I haven't gotten those in maybe a couple years.

We have two accounts -- one gets a $3 off $30, $4 off $40, $5 off $50 or $10 off $100 most weeks. The other one gets a ton of free offers, plus three bonus rewards when you spend $50 most weeks. The rest of the coupons are largely the same. Last year, one account got three "breakfast on us" coupons for free orange juice, eggs and sausage... and they reset each week for about two months! I'm sure it was unintentional, but it was pretty sweet while it lasted.

I did get a free custom sandwich coupon this week, but I doubt I'll be able to redeem it.
I was at the Vons in Temescal Canyon (Corona, California) again late this afternoon. The service deli has recovered. You should be able to get your sandwich. They had zero customers at the service deli when I entered the store at 5:30 PM. Meat (except service meat which was completely empty) has mostly recovered. They had plenty of the $1.47 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are in the mailer ad. They had plenty of butter (advertised for $2.49 but the shelf tag was only reflecting the regular price of $4.98. It did scan for $2.49 - I bought the ad limit of 2). I was shocked but this store which had no pasta on Tuesday had almost completely recovered in that aisle and I was able to get the 29 cent Signature Select Pasta. Still very little water (no multipacks), no paper products at all (still) and limited cleaning supplies (I was in for Gain detergent $3.99 + there is a digital Just for U $1/1 coupon but they were wiped out). Plus freezer section is still a mess. I was able to get the advertised (Fab 5) Red Baron pizza. Deli and dairy are still hit and miss but I was able to get the Lucerne cheese (limit 4) for $1.88 that is advertised this week.

One thing I noticed today was the Fab 5 prices were coming up even if you just bought just one Fab 5 item rather than five. At self-checkout it would automatically apply the savings each time I scanned a Fab 5 product. Normally, it won't take the savings off until I get to the 5th Fab 5 product. I have a personalized price for Rice-a-Roni for .99 cents and as always it gives me that savings in addition to the Fab 5 price (Rice-A-Roni is $1.29 on the shelf but my personalized price is .99 cents. Fab 5 price is .79. The system takes the price down to the Fab 5 price of .79 stacks another .30 off for my personalized .99 cent price and makes them .49).

This particular Vons and the Albertsons in Lake Elsinore have become my favorite stores to shop during this virus because they are trying to keep business in the store running pretty much as usual under the circumstances - even with limited supply. I appreciate that and will remember that once this is over. They are the total opposite of what my local Winco in Perris, CA and Ralphs in all locations I have been in are doing limiting movement or customers into their stores.

The Aldi near me in Menifee, California has some intense competition. There is a Super Target across the street that just completed a full remodel this past fall. A newly built Barons market that opened last May 2 blocks away. Ralphs is also 2 blocks away. Directly behind Aldi a new from the ground up Sprouts is currently being built. Plus a partially completed Smart & Final (contractor lawsuit with the property owner is currently holding it up) which may or may not open across the street and a new Grocery Outlet which is about to start construction about 1 mile away. They're going to have to keep the prices low at that Aldi.