Coronavirus and wearing masks in stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Coronavirus and wearing masks in stores

Post by cjd »

I have not been to any stores since the whole mask thing gained popularity by the CDC. But last few times I've driven through parking lots and observed people entering stores, I've noticed a lot of people aren't wearing them. Some couples I see one with a mask and one without, which I find rather odd.

Also stopped at the gas station today (only the second time I've had to since the virus, guess there is at least a positive on having nowhere to go on the weekends). I didn't go inside the building, but while I was fueling up, noticed only one person coming in or out had a mask on.

Really wish they'd make masks more mandatory here. It's worth a shot, it can't make things worse I don't think.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am finding if you go into a store in the morning/early afternoon you will see a lot of masks. The later it gets in the day, the fewer masks you will see.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The people who do not wear masks are the ones who could have coronavirus and show no symptoms. They are the ones to be wary of. Many people do not realize that masks primarily protect others from catching the virus from you. Those who do not wear masks put others in the stores at risk.

Other countries have coronavirus under control. Taiwan only had 6 deaths out of a population of about 23 million. They have enough masks for everyone and everyone is doing their part to wear masks. In the U.S. we have people who do not care about others and refuse to wear masks.

Other countries have low death rates, but it is usually due to other factors such as lack of testing or underreporting. India does not have that many deaths, but it could be due to the sun and heat. Coronavirus is killed by the sun and heat. Outdoor transmission is very low due to the sun and lots of fresh air.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

In rural towns I am finding very few people are wearing masks, though the retail stores with employees being mandated to wear masks are having pretty good compliance among employees and it appears some stores provide masks as I noticed all employees wearing the same masks (this is what I like to see).

It is also possible these other countries are measuring the deaths differently than here in the US. It seems some in the US think the COVID deaths are being undercounted and others think the COVID deaths are being overcounted. Who knows who or what to believe at this point in time.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Whole Foods is giving out free masks to customers. The masks arrive this week.

The company strongly believes that masks do prevent the spread of the disease even among those who show no symptoms.

If everyone were to wear masks many deaths could be prevented. It baffles me why people don't want to wear them and then they complain about lock downs and the economy.

Even if the masks are free some people may throw them in the trash.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 7:39 pm Whole Foods is giving out free masks to customers. The masks arrive this week.

The company strongly believes that masks do prevent the spread of the disease even among those who show no symptoms.

If everyone were to wear masks many deaths could be prevented. It baffles me why people don't want to wear them and then they complain about lock downs and the economy.

Even if the masks are free some people may throw them in the trash.
I went into Smart Foodservice today, they had signs plastered up (same signs as Smart & Final) about face coverings required. I walked into the store and saw 2 cashiers, neither with a mask on, and 5 customers in the checkout line, only 1 of which had a mask on.

I actually took my mask off while in the store as I was having trouble breathing. Wind, pollen, and allergies have come to Reno and wearing the mask the past couple days here is very difficult. Had the store been hard core about requiring the mask I probably would have kept it on and gotten out more quickly (not walked down every aisle when I only went in for 3 items). That may actually not be a bad result.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I too find masks stuffy at times. I loosen the mask a little to let in air when I am not around other people, but I always keep it on. The mask is necessary in case of an accidental sneeze or cough.

I used to shun allergy medications, but I have found Allegra to be amazing. It is like not even having allergies at all. Otherwise without medication I would be suffocating at times with a mask on.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Most likely these last couple posts are why you don't see more businesses trying to enforce people having them on, as even in (at least one) state where they are required, if you have a medical issue that prevents you wearing one then it is OK not to do so.

Kind of like trying to enforce which people bringing an animal are legitimate service animals and not, they don't want to do anything against the law, which makes sense from their side.

One might also hope that people will only use those exceptions if they truly have a need to, but there are always going to be some who take advantage of them.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Based on what I am seeing I expect this mask fad to either die off in the next few weeks or become a uniform requirement across the board in every store everywhere. It could be some risk management departments determine this requirement is a good defense against lawsuits from people who claim they contracted the virus in the store so they will move forward and require the masks to help defend against those lawsuits.

Once people start getting sick from the masks due to mishandling of the masks, suffocating because they can't breathe, or overheating due to the lack of air to their face, then it will probably be the end of this.

I wore a mask outside today for about 1.5 hours and did okay with it. Oh, nobody else wears masks on bike/jog trails. I got some "looks." Yet in some retail stores I am having trouble with the mask and breathing. I don't really understand what the issue is.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

California has some counties with a face covering requirement. It does not need to be a mask, but a bandana or cloth is acceptable. I saw a man with a clear plastic face shield at Walmart and the store allowed that. The main goal is to stop a cough or a sneeze that would reach another person.

Many European countries allow the clear plastic face shield. The face shield is better as they said that the first chinese doctors who caught coronavirus were infected through their eyes while wearing masks.

Where I live in California, the face covering requirement seems to be working fine. People seem to appreciate that restaurant workers and employees are prevented from coughing on your food or merchandise.