Meat shortages?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Meat shortages?

Post by reymann »

costco is limiting customers to three packages of meat. save mart picked the worst possible time to have a 5 for $5 each sale on meat and their shelves were a little bare because of it today.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Noticed a few issues with meat today.

Raleys Stores all seem to be very well supplied on beef and chicken. Pork is missing some items and has an oversupply of other items.

I went to one Smiths. Smiths service case is sort of re-opened- they have a bunch of packages of prepack (in foam plastic wrapped trays just like the self serve meat area) behind the service case where the service case items normally go. They had a ton of bacon and a little but well spread out fish/shrimp. Little to no beef. Then out in self serve meat, there was quite a bit of empty space. Small amount of pork, but okay variety. Beef was a mess, virtually no steakhouse cuts of steaks, a ton of mid lower end cuts like petite sirloin, london broil, stew beef, more eye of round roasts than I've seen in a long time, and a lot of weird brick packs of 80/20 ground beef rather than moved into store packaging, but still had a lot of store packaged ground round in various sizes. The only chicken was a small quantity of store packaged boneless skinless chicken breast. Smiths had signs in self serve meat that said limit 2 packages of chicken and limit 2 packages of beef per customer.

Went to one Save Mart and this meat department was very well stocked on beef. Poorly stocked on pork. The only chicken available was whole chicken, which they had a ton of, and oddly it was store packaged in foam trays with plastic wrap when usually whole chickens come in case ready. They had them in twin packs for .59/lb or single for .79/lb which is quite a bargain. They also had some cut up whole chickens at .99/lb again store packed. They were 3-4ish pound whole chickens. But other than that, no packs with just wings, legs, breasts, thighs, etc.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

So maybe we should start eating beans for protein (especially black beans).

:D

Better for the environment?

Better for our health?

And better for the animals (especially uber intelligent pigs)?

Just sayin......so don't get mad ya'll.........
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Beans are an incomplete protein source
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

jamcool wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 9:06 am Beans are an incomplete protein source
Quinoa, on the other hand, is a complete protein.

Black bean and quinoa bowl, anyone?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 7:23 am So maybe we should start eating beans for protein (especially black beans).

:D

Better for the environment?

Better for our health?

And better for the animals (especially uber intelligent pigs)?

Just sayin......so don't get mad ya'll.........
I think this is why dry beans have been in such tight supply during this process.

It seems like canned beans have stayed in pretty good supply though...

I used to joke when I was younger a bean burrito was the cheapest source of protein you could get, and was tasty. Del Taco bean burrito uses actual dry beans prepared daily in location and actual cheddar cheese. Only $1 and the price hasn't gone up in decades. I don't know how they do it. I think they make up for it by selling essentially the same burrito with a little scoop of chicken thigh added for $3.39. So the chicken customer subsidizes the bean only customer. Taco Bell uses dehydrated refried beans and imitation cheese. No thanks. The Taco Bell version does include onions though unlike the Del Taco version. I wonder if those are dehydrated too.
klkla

Post by klkla »

They are a complete protein source when mixed with rice. Rice & beans is the only complete protein without animals being involved.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

i'm actually gonna give plant based meat a try during the meat shortage. vegetarian and vegan alternatives will become really popular during this shortage.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I respectfully say, that is not true.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

I hate to chime in on this but...
Off Topic
...meat and eggs are complete proteins, and beans and nuts aren’t. But humans don’t need every essential amino acid in every bite of food at every meal — we only need a sufficient amount of each amino acid each day.

Most dietitians believe that plant-based diets contain such a wide variety of amino acid profiles that vegans who follow a varied, healthful diet1 are virtually guaranteed to get all their amino acids with very little effort.

Example complete vegetarian proteins:
Quinoa, buckwheat, soy, mycoprotein, seitan, "Ezekiel" bread, peanut butter sandwich, spirulina with grains or nuts, hummus and pita

1Emphasis mine.