Meat shortages?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Meat shortages?

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 12:24 pm i'm actually gonna give plant based meat a try during the meat shortage. vegetarian and vegan alternatives will become really popular during this shortage.
If there is a shortage. There is a ton of food waste at all levels of the chain. I am expecting the shortage will be somewhat mitigated by tightening up on food waste, and also somewhat mitigated by reduced consumption (people often consume much larger meat servings than the recommended serving sizes).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Raleys in NorCal/NV has fully stocked meat departments. I was shocked yesterday when I went into one after the nearly empty Smiths meat departments, and the oddly stocked Safeway and Save Mart meat departments with numerous cuts missing. They almost seem overstocked on steaks at Raleys. Not sure what they did to secure a supply but they have done something. Prices seem to be pretty reasonable too with various sales. Most in the $9-$12lb range. No $5lb sale prices on NY Steaks but not the $15/lb that other stores charge either.

Pork is also fully stocked. Again prices are reasonable with pork loin chops (boneless or bone in) 3.99/lb. Not the $6lb the other stores are charging. Chicken is fully stocked, usual prices (high).
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I imagine the smaller chains can get meat from smaller meat producers or food service suppliers easier than the Krogers and Safeways who buy large quantities of meat from Tyson and JBS
klkla

Post by klkla »

Gelson's was fully stocked in meat, as well. But I noticed that they are selling a much higher percentage of premium cuts (IE: USDA Prime, USDA Choice Grass Fed and Wagyu).

My guess is the people that are panic shopping are probably buying the less expensive cuts and grades. They were even running a sale on the USDA Prime cuts ($10 lb. reduction for New York Strip and $13 lb. reduction for Filet Mignon).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Raleys was running Tenderloin Steak at 13.99/lb (regularly 21.99/lb) in small packs; lower price for whole in the bag if you found a store that sold them that way.

Nicer warmer weather combined with people being at home are the perfect formula for backyard grilling. These stores that can't keep steaks stocked are going to be walking a lot of sales.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Went to Safeway tonight. Meat was full, but many cuts missing. Prices have been increased substantially on a number of cuts that are there. Cubed Steak now 7.99/lb, London Broil now 9.49/lb, Bone-in standard Ribeye now 19.79/lb, and pork loin chops (all bone in) are like 6.09-6.59/lb. Some items were on sale like the cubed steap at 5.99/lb I think, the London Broil at 3.99/lb, and the ribeyes at 11.99/lb. No quantity limits posted (I think they let the prices handle that function).

Went to Smiths after. Signs posted all over with limit 1. This was absolutely pathetic. Smiths had only ground beef, no other beef. On pork they had a bunch of case ready sparerib slabs and more pork sirloin chops and pork sirloin roasts than I've ever seen before (about 12 feet of them). I suggest they raise the limit on the pork sirloin. I believe it was on sale as well. Multiple other customers walked by that meat case looked at it and exclaimed there was "no beef" and were so disgusted. They did not seem to be buying the pork sirloin, just leaving without purchasing any meat. On chicken they had mostly boneless skinless breasts, some with sell by of tomorrow that did not look very fresh.

Finally went to Raleys. Meat area was pretty much full. No T-Bone or Porterhouse Steaks, but seemed to have just about everything else. No price changes from last week other than the ad specials. Quantity limit of 2 packages per customer.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

storewanderer wrote: May 16th, 2020, 1:21 am Went to Safeway tonight. Meat was full, but many cuts missing. Prices have been increased substantially on a number of cuts that are there. Cubed Steak now 7.99/lb, London Broil now 9.49/lb, Bone-in standard Ribeye now 19.79/lb, .
And here I was at a local Market 32 (Price Chopper) the other morning absolutely floored the regular price of bottom round was up to 6.99/lb. but I found two nice ones a little over 3lb. each so I ended up buying them-never know when you'll get the chance again these days. The meat situation there overall was the best I've seen it in a long time with ample stock of pretty much everything and it was being actively restocked when I was there as well. Also appeared to have removed package limits. Don't know if that will change but at least for a while it seemed to be business as usual but who knows come the weekend. That's one advantage to being retired I guess-do your shopping early on a weekday morning but a lot of people don't have that luxury and pretty much have to fight the crowds after the place gets picked over. Can't speak for the other dominant chain (Hannaford) in the immediate area because I didn't go there this week.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

pork and beef were a bit bare at foodmaxx today but, was fully stocked on poultry. foodmaxx hasn't yet put limits on meat purchases.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: May 16th, 2020, 9:02 am And here I was at a local Market 32 (Price Chopper) the other morning absolutely floored the regular price of bottom round was up to 6.99/lb. but I found two nice ones a little over 3lb. each so I ended up buying them-never know when you'll get the chance again these days. The meat situation there overall was the best I've seen it in a long time with ample stock of pretty much everything and it was being actively restocked when I was there as well. Also appeared to have removed package limits. Don't know if that will change but at least for a while it seemed to be business as usual but who knows come the weekend. That's one advantage to being retired I guess-do your shopping early on a weekday morning but a lot of people don't have that luxury and pretty much have to fight the crowds after the place gets picked over. Can't speak for the other dominant chain (Hannaford) in the immediate area because I didn't go there this week.
Did the Price Chopper have the special of the week (Sirloin Steaks @ $3.77/lb.)? They did here on Sunday morning, with a limit of 1 (which seemed to apply to at least any items advertised, and that makes some sense since they aren't doing rainchecks).

Haven't noticed issues with the Hannaford stores since early on, but then again I am not always looking for anything specific (unless they advertise something - which they have the same steaks as PC did for $3.99/lb. next week just FYI), just to see if anything looks interesting while there getting whatever else.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I went to another Smiths today and again no cut beef. They had lots of ground beef but only the case ready stuff and chubs (none of the store pack stuff). This Smiths had the pork sirloins but only whole in the bag, none out in chop form. No other pork (well they had bacon, lots of bacon). Then they had a ton of chicken, perhaps 20 feet of chicken, mostly store packed cut up whole chickens.

I also stopped into a Wal Mart. Again there no beef other than a very low amount of ground beef. They had chicken and pork (limited). It was closer to evening by then.

Interesting the smaller chains can keep meat in stock but these larger ones seem to be having issues. I am sure this is a fluid situation so in a few days who knows what the status will be.

Went into 2 more Raleys and 1 Save Mart. The Save Mart was missing numerous cuts but it did have most of what you would want and pricing looks the same as a couple weeks ago generally though I think they went up on pork, beef and chicken look the same as before (quality looked absolutely terrible on the NY Steaks they had). One of the Raleys was looking a little light on meat and had limit 1 signs posted. The other Raleys was very fully stocked and had no quantity limit signs posted.