Meat shortages?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
klkla

Re: Meat shortages?

Post by klkla »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 10:10 pm Trump used the defense protection act to force the meat plants to stay open. If you are forcing sick people to work, spread the virus, and contaminate food how is this helping?
I don't think the contamination of food is really the issue here. The virus isn't ingested in that manner.

I think Trump successfully countered an industry strategy of purposely trying to cause panic meat buying so that prices would go up.

The problem, though, is that he hasn't provided any guidance about how to safely protect workers in these plants.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

jamcool wrote: April 29th, 2020, 6:35 am Or we start irradiation of meat (like we currently do with spices)
Irradiated meat was brought into stores in the early 2000s but soon disappeared thanks to "consumer advocacy groups" creating a successful misinformation campaign that it involved dangerous "radiation" somehow, despite the fact that irradiated meats were essentially sterile and you could enjoy cooked-rare (or even raw) hamburger patties without the threat of E. coli.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

"consumer advocacy groups" ??

In quotations?

Interesting..............I'm curious, why in quotations?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

veteran+ wrote: April 30th, 2020, 7:02 am "consumer advocacy groups" ??

In quotations?

I used quotations because if you're going against your stated goal in favor of an agenda, you aren't actually what are you claim to be. I don't want to derail the topic on politics, but ask yourself this...is, say, Alex Jones' Infowars journalism or "journalism"?
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote: April 30th, 2020, 10:50 am I used quotations because if you're going against your stated goal in favor of an agenda, you aren't actually what are you claim to be. I don't want to derail the topic on politics, but ask yourself this...is, say, Alex Jones' Infowars journalism or "journalism"?
The difference is the "consumer advocacy groups" don't have the same type of agenda. They actually believe they are right. You might disagree with their conclusions, but I don't think it's fair to doubt their sincerity. Prior to 1946 all food was organic. Since introducing chemicals and such into the food supply we've seen an explosion in cancers that didn't exist before. There aren't any studies that relate particular chemicals or radiation to particular cancers because those studies would take years and lots of money. Common sense tells you that chemicals and radiation aren't natural, and knowing that adequate research isn't being done to prove or disprove a link to cancer, it's easy to understand why people would want to digest more natural food instead of chemically altered food.

Alex Jones is a different matter altogether. I won't go into that because this is a food-oriented message board.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

They were using nasty chemicals well before 1946, like nicotine derivatives, and cyanide
klkla

Post by klkla »

jamcool wrote: April 30th, 2020, 2:26 pm They were using nasty chemicals well before 1946, like nicotine derivatives, and cyanide
Yes, those chemicals existed but they were not in common use in fresh foods.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

pseudo3d wrote: April 30th, 2020, 10:50 am

In quotations?

I used quotations because if you're going against your stated goal in favor of an agenda, you aren't actually what are you claim to be. I don't want to derail the topic on politics, but ask yourself this...is, say, Alex Jones' Infowars journalism or "journalism"?
Hmmmm..........okay but that is a false equivalent.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

In quotations?

I'd use the quotations now too. Not sure I'd have used the quotations in the 90's. These groups have become less about direct consumer advocacy and more about lobbying and political agendas.

Irradiated meat never sounded very appetizing, though...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Two package limit on meat now at SoCal Albertsons/Vons locations.

https://www.newsweek.com/safeway-trump- ... ge-1501189

Two packages is a little interesting. Two packages with 1 steak or two packages with 5 steaks?

What about the customer who wants to buy 10 pieces of meat but a variety of cuts? Out of luck, I guess. But it is okay for the customer who wants a couple of cuts, to get the 2 mega packs and end up with 10 pieces of meat...

Would be more convenient to see them go back to reasonable one pound size packages of most cuts... (obviously still larger size packs for roasts). I know it is a labor savings to focus on the "big packs" but those go really fast even with a quantity limit.