Meat shortages?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Meat shortages?

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:26 pm Interesting the smaller chains can keep meat in stock but these larger ones seem to be having issues. I am sure this is a fluid situation so in a few days who knows what the status will be.
I suppose it may actually make sense. Probably some of the smaller suppliers out there that they can deal with and get enough to supply their stores but such an amount wouldn't be much help to a chain the size of Walmart or similar.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

In general the stores here seem reasonably well stocked. The Safeway here looked pretty well stocked, and the Winco seemed to be in pretty good shape as well. Not sure about the Kroger stores (Fred Meyer and QFC) but I can't imagine they'd be in too much worse shape.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Meat pricing seems to continue to rise but products are in decent supply. Quantity limits continue at some but not all stores. I think pricing is taking care of the quantity limit issue in some cases.

Today at NorCal Safeway:

Boneless Ribeye Steak (standard USDA Choice basic offering) 21.79/lb
Boneless Chuck Roast 6.79/lb
Top Sirloin Steak 13.99/lb (on sale for 6.99/lb in small pack, less in large pack)
80/20 Ground Beef 6.99/lb (small pack, may have had some sale price but can't remember)

Meat prices at Raleys, Whole Foods, and Save Mart are nowhere near these levels. In fact, I don't think Whole Foods has increased prices at all on meat. They were the highest before, but thanks to not increasing prices, this is no longer the case.

Also noticing Safeway does not have as much Foster Farms Chicken anymore but has new chicken from some supplier showing as being in CO. Raleys and Save Mart are still full of Foster Farms Chicken.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Probably Redbird, which is sold at Safeway/Albertsons in Arizona