Kroger family of stores fuel points extension

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Kroger family of stores fuel points extension

Post by SamSpade »

We're all driving a little less right now, and we know you might need some extra time to use your fuel points. We're with you.

On May 2, any unused March fuel points will be added to your April balance and won't expire until the end of May. So you can focus on what really matters now. We'll make sure the fuel points you love are ready for you…when you're ready for them.

If you have any questions, please contact us at 1‑800‑KRO‑GERS
Also the first timer I've seen that vanity phone number in a division not named Kroger (I'm out west).
Greggo
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Kroger family of stores fuel points extension

Post by Greggo »

Albertsons/Safeway has done this, too. I got a notification on the Randalls app that my March points that would’ve expired at the end of April are now good until May 31.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This would be a great time for Kroger to implement a grocery rewards program like Albertsons/Safeway has. I really like the flexibility of being able to redeem for grocery items instead of fuel. This is a perfect example of that, given how fuel consumption has fallen so much, many customers may happily pay for fuel at this point given how cheap it is (not sure how excited a customer is about a fuel reward right now given there is nowhere to go) and would instead opt for a grocery reward.

Margins on fuel sales are very low. There is little to no profit on the fuel sale even before the fuel reward. That "fuel reward" is basically a total loss to the grocer for the amount of the reward. I routinely see people filling up multiple vehicles on one reward at Smiths during off hours late at night (especially at the Sparks Smiths) which violates the terms of the program which says limit one vehicle (but 35 gallons... which is quite generous).

However if the grocer gives me a free avocado for 100 fuel points I am happy with that free avocado (which is worth 2.50 at Safeway NorCal) and chances are that is one less avocado the store will need to shrink out (since I"d never pay them the 2.50 asking price). Same goes if they offer a free french bread for 100 fuel points, I am happy with that free french bread, stores always shrink out french bread, and I'd never pay Safeway's NorCal asking price of 2.99 for a load of french bread. So this grocery reward program as Safeway/Albertsons typically does it offers free items that stores frequently shrink out. Sometimes they throw in random stuff like pasta or butter or eggs though. I think it is a really smart program, well designed, and a good option to the customer.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: April 28th, 2020, 12:46 am This would be a great time for Kroger to implement a grocery rewards program like Albertsons/Safeway has. I really like the flexibility of being able to redeem for grocery items instead of fuel. This is a perfect example of that, given how fuel consumption has fallen so much, many customers may happily pay for fuel at this point given how cheap it is (not sure how excited a customer is about a fuel reward right now given there is nowhere to go) and would instead opt for a grocery reward.

Margins on fuel sales are very low. There is little to no profit on the fuel sale even before the fuel reward. That "fuel reward" is basically a total loss to the grocer for the amount of the reward. I routinely see people filling up multiple vehicles on one reward at Smiths during off hours late at night (especially at the Sparks Smiths) which violates the terms of the program which says limit one vehicle (but 35 gallons... which is quite generous).

However if the grocer gives me a free avocado for 100 fuel points I am happy with that free avocado (which is worth 2.50 at Safeway NorCal) and chances are that is one less avocado the store will need to shrink out (since I"d never pay them the 2.50 asking price). Same goes if they offer a free french bread for 100 fuel points, I am happy with that free french bread, stores always shrink out french bread, and I'd never pay Safeway's NorCal asking price of 2.99 for a load of french bread. So this grocery reward program as Safeway/Albertsons typically does it offers free items that stores frequently shrink out. Sometimes they throw in random stuff like pasta or butter or eggs though. I think it is a really smart program, well designed, and a good option to the customer.
Price Chopper here in NY did that a while back, but theirs is much easier. Once you reach 100 points, you can redeem either for $0.05/gal (up to 20 gallons) or $1 off your groceries. So perhaps not as high value as what you have, but no need to get any specific item either. Also, one you are over $1, you can redeem whatever you have in store - so if you have 137 points, it is $1.37 off the groceries, so no "leftover" points.
Both are technically worth the same amount, but the gas only works if you can buy the full 20 gallons (which isn't possible for many vehicles).