Paper products from Mexico

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Paper products from Mexico

Post by storewanderer »

Was in a Holiday in rural NorCal today and saw paper products. Holiday is supplied by C&S but does have a small warehouse of its own near Redding. There was Kleenex but it was an odd size and different looking package. It was sort of like a hotel pack, but maybe a little larger. $1.99. Ouch.

Then to the bath tissue and paper towels. All were some sort of brands, but unfamiliar brands to me. They were obviously name brands, but not that I was familiar with. Upon further examination I saw all were made in Mexico. Pricing looked a little lower than usual regular prices at a full service grocer, but no bargains. The aisle was very full. The store was reasonably busy (2-3 registers constantly open, which is good for a 15k square foot store).

I have been in two other C&S Independents and did not see any of this stuff, and their paper aisles were pretty much like most stores, very very limited.

Maybe this will help address the product shortages in the west if more stores would source this way.
Alpha8472

Re: Paper products from Mexico

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have seen Mexican toilet paper at Safeway and Foodmaxx in the San Francisco Bay Area recently. The prices may be higher due to the cost of sourcing from Mexico.

People were crossing into Mexico even back in March to buy toilet paper from Mexican supermarkets and Mexican Costco stores.

Hotel chains have been contacting supermarket chains trying to sell them excess toilet paper and kleenex. These hotels have got to make money somehow. You can tell because often the rolls of toilet paper have no barcode. It is just a single roll of toilet paper wrapped in a paper wrap with the brand name on it. The cashier would ring it up manually by typing it in.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on May 9th, 2020, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greggo
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by Greggo »

Here in Texas, H-E-B has been trucking in toilet paper from Mexico. The store by my house has almost an entire aisle stocked with nothing but 4-packs of Vogue toilet paper from Mexico.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

No doubt stocked next to the Mexican-made cleaners like Pinalen, Flash, and Chloralen