Smart & Final now using single-line queuing system for all stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
klkla

Smart & Final now using single-line queuing system for all stores

Post by klkla »

"Under the new scheme, customers will now line up single-file at a special swing gate near the checkout area in the front of the store, instead of queuing up at each checkout lane. A sign indicates to shoppers where the line starts.
A digital screen positioned at the front of the line tells shoppers when a cashier becomes available and in which lane number, which is highlighted with a flashing light. The screen also will display other messages, such as reminders about physical distancing and other Smart & Final COVID-19 policies."

I have mixed feelings about this. Smart & Final isn't that great at opening more registers when it's busy as it is and I think this is going to make the wait feel even longer. I'll have to go to one of their stores and check it out.

There's a photo slide show and the full article here:
https://www.supermarketnews.com/issues- ... all-stores
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Smart & Final now using single-line queuing system for all stores

Post by mjhale »

I guess they can call this new and exciting because it is Coronovirus related? I've seen a similar system in use at high volume downtown Whole Foods locations and various suburban TJX stores. It works well at the stores I've been in that had it because they had plenty of registers open and the line kept moving. It does keep things more organized because there is one line, not many. But as klkla says without enough registers you just move the huge line for one or two registers to a different place.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Cash & Carry Stores always ran with a single line set up since their checkout does not involve items going onto a counter (it is a "flat bed to flat bed" process- I feel for the back of the cashiers).

Maybe their stores do so little business that this will work.

The entire operation of a grocery store front end depends on efficiency. The bag bans really screwed it up in CA. Now the bag ban issue has been addressed so that helps return some efficiency. It is bad enough that customers cannot line up and get things packed onto the belt anymore due to distancing requirements as the entire efficiency of the front end depended on the cashier constantly moving, items steadily coming down that belt with few to no gaps. But even with distancing requirements, you need to have a set up where one customer is checking out and the other customer is unloading onto the belt (but not moving any closer than the edge of the belt, most of the time this will satisfy the six foot rule unless it is a little express lane with a half belt). One issue here is if the belt is supposed to be cleaned between customers there is a delay. But I am not seeing many stores clean the belt between customers (the Whole Foods in Lake Tahoe is excellent at this however; it also has very few customers right now).

I have seen this set up in high volume downtown Whole Foods Stores where they are running a ton of small transactions (no or few shopping carts, and the carts that are in use are the little Euro style ones).

Also the Smiths in Sparks which is a very high volume store and only had 5 checkstands (had 28 checkstands or some crazy number when Smiths built it in the 80's) and about 16 self checkouts, has gone to this set up of a "form one line" to pay (one line for regular checkout, one line for self checkout). They had too many problems with lines stretching down the aisles so now the line stretches over to the side walls instead.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Many stores in San Diego and Los Angeles are cleaning the conveyor belt after every customer and your cur to load your stuff is when they finish cleaning (Target, Pavilions and others).

The line cue's efficacy also depends on the front end design, specifically the distance between front end displays and beginning of conveyor (magazine-candy rack).

If you don't have enough space it's a real problem with traffic flow.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Some of the Hannaford stores are doing this as well, but with a live person controlling the access and directing people to what register.

Hasn't caused much line the couple times I've been there, but then again there are 6 self checkouts that take many customers off the "normal" registers and they've had every other register (so about 4) open and I believe they will send one person to each and then a second to wait at each while #1 checks out, so that's about 14 people at a time before you get any waiting line, unless no one wants to do it themselves.

Another one locally hasn't done this, but I think it's the design of the store that wouldn't leave enough room for cross traffic across the front of aisles if they did this setup.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

BillyGr wrote: May 13th, 2020, 5:41 pm Some of the Hannaford stores are doing this as well, but with a live person controlling the access and directing people to what register.
Must be something new because I was in a Hannaford towards the end of last week and it was business as usual line-wise. Not so sure I'd like this kind of system-reminds me of how banks are set up and I would think you'd get closer than the standard multiple line system we're all used to when it comes to shopping. Probably should see it in action before I judge it though.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:32 am
BillyGr wrote: May 13th, 2020, 5:41 pm Some of the Hannaford stores are doing this as well, but with a live person controlling the access and directing people to what register.
Must be something new because I was in a Hannaford towards the end of last week and it was business as usual line-wise. Not so sure I'd like this kind of system-reminds me of how banks are set up and I would think you'd get closer than the standard multiple line system we're all used to when it comes to shopping. Probably should see it in action before I judge it though.
You might have a store like our local one which also hasn't done it either. As noted previously, I don't think that store could create this setup and still leave room for shoppers to get from one aisle to the next.

Hannaford actually tried this in some stores a few years back but then gave up on it - those stores might (sensibly) have the larger spaces to make it work now, whiles others were just not designed for it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

My favorite part is the "checkout procedure" sign photo at Smart and Final. It says they will only operate every other checkstand. Then right there in the photo there are two registers (4 and 5) right next to each other that have lights on. I assume both may not be open... but... why are the lights on then?

Also enjoying the photo of two people in line touching their masks (one looks like he may be on the phone, but hands still touching the mask). Completely compromises the safety of the masks.

Also if I walked into a store that had a line of customers spanning down the entire liquor aisle I'd just walk out without doing a purchase rather than wait in such a long line. Also now you have all these people loitering within about 1-2 feet of all those liquor containers potentially breathing on/contaminating those (maybe the masks help that, if the masks were clean and people weren't steadily touching them).

Fix one problem and cause three more problems.