Private label products being sold at other chains

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Private label products being sold at other chains

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

veteran+ wrote: May 26th, 2020, 5:39 am First time I saw Topco products was at King Soopers in the late 70s.
I recall that Giant Markets in the Scranton, Pa. area in the mid 70's or so introduced something called the Kingston brand with great fanfare. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that too a Topco brand?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

storewanderer wrote: June 7th, 2020, 10:59 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: June 7th, 2020, 7:03 pm Turkey Hill ice cream is being sold at Northern California Safeway stores on endcaps. Previously, it was only seen as far as Arizona.
If that Turkey Hill Ice Cream has plant code 49-70 it is made by Smiths dairy in Utah.

The one at Safeway in NV at least some flavors have that plant code.

Prefer the Umpqua Ice Cream (also sold at Safeway NorCal now). Also sold at WinCo.
Yes, the plant code was the one in Utah.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Safeway NorCal has excellent ice cream product variety specifically in larger stores. Since Albertsons took over they have really downsized the amount of private label ice cream which used to take up over half of the aisle and now only takes up a few doors, and expanded to have various brands from different regions not found elsewhere. That Turkey Hill, nobody else in NorCal carries it. Umpqua is only at WinCo in NorCal and there. The little Friendly's Sundae cups are quite good (discontinued in the smaller stores but still in set at the larger stores); horribly overpriced at 2.50 each but a solid deal if on sale at 1.25 or less. Back east those are basically a $1-1.25 item everywhere everyday. They also have a great variety of the small Blue Bunny Sundae cups (which seem to be overly sweet), at least 16 flavors in set at the larger stores.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

More Giant Eagle paper products at SoCal Albertsons:

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Grocery Outlets in Nevada have the Giant Eagle tissues too. I went into one on Saturday afternoon and it was a literal morgue in the place (had like 3 other customers) and the price was unmarked so I figured I should buy something to help the store so I took a couple of those. The cost was $1.99 each - outrageous for something that should be $1. Oh well. I doubt I'll be going to Giant Eagle territory anytime soon and I'm sure if I did, my ability to bring home a mint condition box of its house brand facial tissue is somewhat unlikely.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

The Giant Eagle and Signature Select tissues likely come from the same vendor. This week, the GE are $2, but the SS are $1. Ironic... maybe not, I'm sure they paid a premium for the product.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: June 21st, 2020, 1:11 am The Giant Eagle and Signature Select tissues likely come from the same vendor. This week, the GE are $2, but the SS are $1. Ironic... maybe not, I'm sure they paid a premium for the product.
It appears the GE Tissue are made by the same provider as the Open Nature Tissue (but not the SS).

The SS is still 1.67 in NorCal (regular price in my market), no sale in a while. Smiths has Kroger Tissue priced at 1.00 if you can find it (haven't seen it in months).

I think the Open Nature Tissue deems itself 100% recycled. I don't see that anywhere on the GE Tissue. But everyone seems to be pricing it as if it is 100% recycled.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: June 21st, 2020, 10:26 am
Bagels wrote: June 21st, 2020, 1:11 am The Giant Eagle and Signature Select tissues likely come from the same vendor. This week, the GE are $2, but the SS are $1. Ironic... maybe not, I'm sure they paid a premium for the product.
It appears the GE Tissue are made by the same provider as the Open Nature Tissue (but not the SS).

The SS is still 1.67 in NorCal (regular price in my market), no sale in a while. Smiths has Kroger Tissue priced at 1.00 if you can find it (haven't seen it in months).

I think the Open Nature Tissue deems itself 100% recycled. I don't see that anywhere on the GE Tissue. But everyone seems to be pricing it as if it is 100% recycled.
Surprisingly, the supply of GE is dwindling at my preferred location, although that may be a derivative of the SS selling out at some point (although it's been in stock every time I've been at the store).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Grocer Outlet was selling some Signature Select food today. There was a Safeway practically across the street, but prices were lower at Grocery Outlet. Has anyone noticed expired food at Grocery Outlet? I see many muffins and baked goods that are expired and have been there for many days. Does no one check this stuff? Has no one been buying it? Some of their bakery products look really old, and scary. I assume that it is not selling at all.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 10:47 pm Grocer Outlet was selling some Signature Select food today. There was a Safeway practically across the street, but prices were lower at Grocery Outlet. Has anyone noticed expired food at Grocery Outlet? I see many muffins and baked goods that are expired and have been there for many days. Does no one check this stuff? Has no one been buying it? Some of their bakery products look really old, and scary. I assume that it is not selling at all.
Grocery Outlet definitely seems to have a deal with Safeway to pick up extras from them.

Grocery Outlets aren't supposed to sell any expired items per corporate order but the sale of expired items is something these stores did for so long it seems like it is hard to get some of them to stop doing it. Up here in Nevada I rarely see expired items there. Close dates, yet, but expired, no. These locations definitely got the memo.

All of their muffins/baked goods and some of the breads are thaw and sell. Earlier this year they kept having these good looking pretzel hamburger buns for .99 and I bought them twice and both times they went moldy a day or two after I brought them home (despite the date on the sticker the store placed on them had like a week of shelf life). Last month I bought some of their GO Bread (it is Franz bread, but defrosted from frozen) and it survived without mold for the entire shelf life shown on the tag. Not as good as fresh. The Sam's Choice breads, bagels, rolls at Wal Mart are the same deal thaw and sell Franz products.