Stores Returning to Regular Hours

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Stores Returning to Regular Hours

Post by cjd »

Do they have the checkouts open in the garden center these days or can one leave through the doors on that end? When I went a few weeks ago I went out through the grocery side, so I don't even know if you can exit any door except for there.

Are the one way security gates still in use?

Some of these changes could be permanent.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It may vary by state but in NV Wal Mart is grocery entrance only. This is due to mask requirement compliance check (the signs posted on the closed general merchandise doors even say this).

At stores where auto re-opened, the garden center is open and is being used as the employee entrance/wellness check area. Customers cannot enter there.

Other stores still have the employees enter through the closed auto center if it is closed.

As of yesterday night signs still say they close at 8:30 (but it is really 10:00). Surprised someone doesn't just take a black marker and write over the 8:30 part at this point.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Petsmart has returned to regular hours (9 PM closing weeknights). Good for them.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Are people still bringing in their animals? I have seen more animals at stores these days than ever before. It is like everyone has adopted an animal and just has to show off.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 2:01 pm Are people still bringing in their animals? I have seen more animals at stores these days than ever before. It is like everyone has adopted an animal and just has to show off.
Haven't seen it as much here lately, but pre pandemic it was getting to be very common, especially the last couple of years. For pet stores, it's perfectly fine and I get it, but they aren't supposed to be coming into other places, most especially restaurants or places that serve/prepare food. It clearly says on the door "service animals only," ie mainly for those who are blind or have medical conditions, but suddenly everyone decided to call them "emotional support animals" and got these fake harnesses to put on their dogs. And if anyone even tries to enforce it, they can have a conniption fit and whine to their friends about how they won't ever go back to wherever on FB or review sites about it.

It's ridiculous, especially when such places can get a health code violation for these pet owners not playing by the rules, and law really. On the other hand, I'd rather the poor pets get to come inside than suffer in a hot or cold car while the owner shops, which could be the alternative.

Sorry, it just annoys me how these people act when it's clearly not their right to bring a pet in.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have seen people carry cats into Walmart recently. The meowing was non-stop. I also have walked through the Walmart parking lot to find eyes staring at me. There was a cat in someone's car. She seemed to enjoy seeing all the people walking by.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 7:32 pm I have seen people carry cats into Walmart recently. The meowing was non-stop. I also have walked through the Walmart parking lot to find eyes staring at me. There was a cat in someone's car. She seemed to enjoy seeing all the people walking by.
I love your posts. You have some interesting perspectives. I've never actually seen anyone bring a cat, no less more than one, to any store ever. I've only seen the garden variety dogs.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 7:38 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 7:32 pm I have seen people carry cats into Walmart recently. The meowing was non-stop. I also have walked through the Walmart parking lot to find eyes staring at me. There was a cat in someone's car. She seemed to enjoy seeing all the people walking by.
I love your posts. You have some interesting perspectives. I've never actually seen anyone bring a cat, no less more than one, to any store ever. I've only seen the garden variety dogs.
I haven't noticed any more animals than before but it has gotten to be a major problem overall. Part of it right now is since it is summer (hot) people who may normally leave their animals in their car, now feel the need to bring them inside the store due to the extreme temperatures. I don't really understand why these folks can't just leave their animals at home.

A couple years ago in my area (Washoe County) the health department started to come down hard on stores that were letting pets inside and stores started enforcing the rules for a while only allowing service animals. Now with the people at the door of many stores monitoring for masks I think people are afraid to even try and sneak in a pet who is not a service animal however not all stores are monitoring for masks so people can still do this. I had a dog brush up against me in some store over the past week and I was not happy about it.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Yeah. it's a big problem!

Retailers put themselves in jeopardy when they don't do the right thing.

In California, the advice is to politely ask the question, "is this a service animal?" If the customer says yes.......you do NOT challenge them. With all the cameras around it can become the evidence needed if (by chance, cuz health department monitoring is severely understaffed) a health inspector visits the store.

This way the store does not get fined BUT if the customer was lying (health dept can demand proof) THEY get fined!

Good customer relations and protection from litigation and fines. But so many retailers do not do the right thing.

Also there is nothing to address the issue of customers putting their pets inside the cart where FOOD goes and other food safety issues :-(
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

klkla wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 7:38 pm I've never actually seen anyone bring a cat, no less more than one, to any store ever.
Totally off topic and this happened years ago, I was running errands on my day off and stopped to get gas at a local convenience store. This was before the pre-pay days so I pump my gas and go into pay. I noticed an animal tied up outside the store the likes of which I'd never seen before. It wasn't a dog and I thought to myself it was way too large to be a cat. Turns out I was wrong because it was indeed a cat all right-a BOBCAT! They're indigenous to the Adirondacks and apparently someone thought one would make a fine pet. I don't know about that but I will say it was very well-behaved. At least the owner had the sense not to bring it into the store.

PS: This is a note to BillyGr who will probably read this-no the store in question was not a Stewart's.