Stores & Riots

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Stores & Riots

Post by Alpha8472 »

Oakland, California had riots last night. A CVS was loooted and lots of drugs were stolen.

I work in a nearby pharmacy and the police called and told us to close immediately. The rioters are on the way. I heard from friends at a large discount retailer that they are piling objects to block the doors. They need steel doors. The police are calling all retailers and telling them to close as soon as possible.
storewanderer

Re: Stores & Riots

Post by storewanderer »

Heard 8 PM Curfew in Denver tonight and stores (Safeway, etc.) closing early because of it.

Retail does not need this additional trouble right now. Retailers are having enough problems getting restocked, reopening stores that have been closed for the past couple of months, trying to keep stores safe and clean from the Coronavirus, and just trying to keep their heads above water. The retailers had nothing to do with the situation that is at hand here and should not be targeted.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Agreed. I just watched some footage of the mall in Tampa, of rioters trying to break into a store. Lots of police units arrived to basically blockade the entire mall.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Oakland, California Best Buy and Gamestop are being looted right now. The Home Depot is not as bad. The looters want the expensive merchandise at Gamestop and Best Buy. No word yet, but I assume Target is being ransacked too. It is just a short distance away.

The sun is down, it is getting dark.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

A gigantic outdoor mall called Bay Street in Emeryville next to Oakland is under attack. The stores are being looted. The mall is unique as there are apartments on top of the mall over the stores. If the stores are set on fire the people trapped in the apartments above will burn to death. This is the worst I have ever seen it. News helicopters are circling overhead and the area is a like battleground. There are tons of cars driving through and people are grabbing merchandise and then packing into cars. Entire cars full of looters are working together to rob stores. It is like a drive by looting. Explosions are going off. People are setting off fireworks as well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 30th, 2020, 10:03 pm A gigantic outdoor mall called Bay Street in Emeryville next to Oakland is under attack. The stores are being looted. The mall is unique as there are apartments on top of the mall over the stores. If the stores are set on fire the people trapped in the apartments above will burn to death. This is the worst I have ever seen it. News helicopters are circling overhead and the area is a like battleground. There are tons of cars driving through and people are grabbing merchandise and then packing into cars. Entire cars full of looters are working together to rob stores. It is like a drive by looting. Explosions are going off. People are setting off fireworks as well.
Some video footage here;

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/ ... ay-street/

Pretty incredible.

Does not appear to be a concern that their cars and license plate numbers are visible as they load stolen goods inside...?
cw06
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by cw06 »

I worked in Baltimore during the 2015 riots. Management told us if looters came in to just drop our tools and leave, don't be brave.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Appears the La Mesa, CA Vons was looted then set on fire.
https://www.kpbs.org/news/2020/may/31/p ... after-la-/

A Sprouts was looted too. Sprouts?? The only stuff of value in there is the vitamins and even that I am not sure is worth much given how few people use so many different SKUs. What's next, looting a Dollar Tree?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

All the big box stores were broken into in the Oakland area and nearby cities. The looters ate driving cars to the suburbs and robbing the stores. Thousands of looters are out in the open. It is out of control. The police are overwhelmed.

The piles of junk did not stop the looters. They need to park a truck out front.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

No true riot took place in Salt Lake City, Utah. Protests were at the state capitol building (on a hill, no businesses nearby) and near the city’s main library and police station. 7-Eleven was vandalized and looted.

The city is under one of the longest curfews, until 6 am Monday and volunteers for cleaning up were asked to stay home.

The unusual/vague releases in the curfew were for those traveling out for food or to care for a friend or house pet.