Closed stores because of protests

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
klkla

Closed stores because of protests

Post by klkla »

I walked over to the Staples at 6th & Vermont in L.A. today at 11:00 a.m. to buy a surge protector. When I got to the store it was closed and locked with no explanation.

There's a Walgreens on the same block so I walked over there to see if they had one and they were closed, too. Just a handwritten note on the door that said closed. It was odd because both of these stores are busy.

My first thought was that they must be closed for Covid-19 clean ups. So I walked to the RiteAid a couple clocks away and they were closed too! That's when it crossed my mind that it must be related to the protests over the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

The protests last night were four miles from this location and I haven't heard about any protests in this area. I'm assuming they must have decided these stores were possible looting targets.

Anyone else noticed any closures as a result of the riots and demonstrations in their area?
Alpha8472

Re: Closed stores because of protests

Post by Alpha8472 »

Several discount retailers are closing right now. They are telling customers to leave and take shelter at home for the Oakland area. Supermarkets are being evacuated and pharmacies.

Walmart is piling tons of junk in front of the glass doors. It is insane. They may have to park a truck in front of the door as well.

The police called and said they do not have enough personnel to defend the stores. They are on their own if they choose to stay open. One city's police have been diverted to Oakland to help with the riots. The other city is defenseless.

A district manager with one drugstore chain told employees to close the stores at once and flee.

CVS in Oakland was closed today as the store was ransacked last night. No drugs are left.

It is like a scene out of The Purge. If you value your safety anyone near Oakland must take shelter. It was on the news.
klkla

Post by klkla »

So the riots/protests spread out to the westside today. Looting occurred in a Nordstrom in the Grove and the Whole Foods across the street (Originally built as a Safeway and was a Lucky or Ralphs after that, I forget which one). I could see the smoke from my condo in Downtown.

There are some photos and videos taken today here:
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/3rd-ni ... -assembly/

This morning it was announced that Downtown would have a curfew at 8:00 P.M. At about 7:00 this evening this was extended and now Los Angeles, Beverly Hills and West Hollywood are under complete curfew until tomorrow morning.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I heard the same in Denver 8 PM and Safeway, etc. closed early because of it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

In Oakland, California Best Buy, Home Depot, Target, and any other retail near downtown is closed.

The big chains are being looted right now.

Even in the suburbs, auto dealerships have moved cars from the glass showrooms. The cars are now behind metal fences. Cars are being packed together so you cannot drive them off as easily. The entire area is preparing for a warzone.

San Francisco is being ransacked too. The subways just shut down at 9 PM. Several subway stations were ready closed earlier today. The city is cut off from Oakland and the rest of the Bay Area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

What in the heck happened to the social distancing rules? Stay at home orders? Masks in public places?

It seems everyone forgot about Coronavirus and now it is all about these protests.

Well if the mask is required the looters can't be as easily identified...
klkla

Post by klkla »

Strangely enough from my vantage point it is eerily quiet right now. From 25 floors up I can see a few miles out and there are very few cars on the road and it is very quiet. That contrasts quite a bit from just an hour or so ago. Hopefully the curfew will help to bring this under control.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

The Target in downtown Portland got looted. It's closed and boarded up now. But so are the downtown locations of Nordstrom Rack, Apple, CVS, Nike, 7-11, and many smaller shops, Plus Pioneer Place mall got smashed and looted
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Target is closing their stores in the Oakland area for up to 14 days.
bayford
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by bayford »

Target's corporate website has an ongoing list of closed stores. They closed nearly all of their Minnesota stores on May 28 and 29th.

https://corporate.target.com/press/rele ... ures-due-t