Closed stores because of protests

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Re: Closed stores because of protests

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart closed 2 stores in San Leandro and one in Union City, California. One of the San Leandro Walmarts was looted, set on fire, and burned. The others were looted. It may be 2 to 3 weeks before reopening assuming the stores are deemed structurally sound.

Most pharmacies in the area are boarded up in the immediate San Francisco Bay Area. It may be difficult to get medication. Today was supposed to be a reopening of some retail from COVID-19. I doubt any business will be open.

Beverly Hills and Santa Monica have a 1 PM curfew for business districts. 4 PM to 5:30 AM for the other areas of their cities.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Los Angeles moved today's curfew up to 5:00 p.m. at the last minute.

Most businesses are still open. The only retail store around here that I know of that closed is that Walgreens but I haven't gone to the Downtown core area since the protests began. The Vons and Rite-Aid a couple blocks away will be glad to take their business. That closure just seems really odd to me.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Criminal gangs are targeting pharmacies. They know that they can sell the narcotics on the street for a ton of money. The police are shorthanded and slow to respond. If a pharmacy loses too many narcotic drugs, the DEA will take away the pharmacy's license. Walgreens is trying to keep their license.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: June 1st, 2020, 5:53 pm Los Angeles moved today's curfew up to 5:00 p.m. at the last minute.

Most businesses are still open. The only retail store around here that I know of that closed is that Walgreens but I haven't gone to the Downtown core area since the protests began. The Vons and Rite-Aid a couple blocks away will be glad to take their business. That closure just seems really odd to me.
Check out Walgreens website. Tons of stores in CA are marked as "temporarily closed" when you get it to load store hours (may take a few refreshes on the map page).

I am a little confused. They have stores closed temporarily in perfectly quiet and (I thought) safe suburbs of Sacramento, like Folsom.

I am guessing they are consolidating and having high security in the stores that they are keeping open.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 1st, 2020, 6:04 pm Criminal gangs are targeting pharmacies. They know that they can sell the narcotics on the street for a ton of money. The police are shorthanded and slow to respond. If a pharmacy loses too many narcotic drugs, the DEA will take away the pharmacy's license. Walgreens is trying to keep their license.
And Vons and RiteAid are trying to lose their licenses?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

They are probably only closing temporarily to clear out the narcotic medications. They want to close for now until the riots die down.

Rite Aid and VONS probably are willing to risk it. It depends on how secure the pharmacy is regarding takeover robberies. Some Rite Aid stores have bullet resistant plexiglass and some VONS do not stock many narcotics. It is a trade off weighing risks and safety.

For Walgreens the main reason is just to close temporarily until the riots die down.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: June 1st, 2020, 6:31 pm

And Vons and RiteAid are trying to lose their licenses?
It appears Walgreens is not taking a calculated risk.

Rite Aid put bulletproof glass across its pharmacy counters in CA last year (even in little rural towns like Quincy and Susanville they did this; I am sure it was for insurance reasons). Walgreens does not seem to do that. Walgreens pharmacy design has a large long pick up counter opening and no separation between that space and the pharmacy prep area. Though you cannot really see into the pharmacy prep area of a Walgreens, someone could easily jump the pick up counter to get into it. Someone could jump right over the counter if they wanted to. Safeway/Vons pharmacy counters tend to be raised a bit and the cash register is sometimes situated outside the room where the drugs are kept and there is a door separating them, but someone could still "climb in."

I find it interesting that Walgreens, the leader in long store hours, being open on Christmas Day long hours, etc. all in the name of serving the customer, for their vital health care needs and emergencies, is so easy to "cave in" and close so many locations in CA during a looting risk situation. As you point out customers will go elsewhere and some will have to. And who is going to be there to answer the call from the competitor pharmacy for a script transfer if the store is boarded up and closed?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

West Hollywood started their curfew at 4PM!

:-(
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart is closing at 5 PM in the San Francisco Bay Area.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: June 1st, 2020, 6:10 pm..I am a little confused. They have stores closed temporarily in perfectly quiet and (I thought) safe suburbs of Sacramento, like Folsom. ...
That was my original thought, too. La Mesa, CA is a quiet, leafy suburb of San Diego. A VONS and two bank branches were burned to the ground. Scottsdale Fashion Square is located in a very nice area of Scottsdale, AZ. It was looted Saturday night.