Closed stores because of protests

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Re: Closed stores because of protests

Post by Alpha8472 »

The downtown Oakland Target still has not reopened. Perhaps Target will never reopen it. That place will get looted every single day in that awful location. The other Target stores have reopened but still close at 9 pm. The one in San Leandro, California closes at 7 pm. They are afraid that they will be looted and burned just like that infamous Walmart if they stay open any later.

The crowds at the last remaining Walmart in San Leandro are insane. The lines stretch across the store. The wait time is about an hour or more in line. People are packed into the store with barely 1 foot spaces between them. It is like a crowded rock concert. If Walmart decides to never reopen the burned out Walmart, I do not know how the other stores in the area will handle it.

I would think that the only way to fix the crowding situation would be to bulldoze the Walmart and build a new store 3 times as large. The burned out Walmart was way too small and was always at overflow capacity day and night. There is no shortage of customers. It is just that the massive crowds and long lines make customers go elsewhere. None of these Walmart stores are even supercenters. They are tiny Walmart locations compared to the average Walmart. With most of the local stores closed due to COVID-19 this makes Walmart the only place to shop. Perhaps Walmart should reopen that empty Walmart in Oakland that they closed down a few years ago due to shoplifting.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart has decided to rebuild and reopen their San Leandro, California store. It was looted and burned May 31, 2020. The store interior is now empty of all merchandise and practically everything else. It will be like an entirely brand new store when it reopens. I have to say that it needed to be refreshed and redone. This new store will be built like a fortress knowing that looting brought down its predecessor. The funny thing is that the looters never got to the safes in the store. They never got the money in the safes and they never got the narcotic drugs stored in the safes even after the fire.

I am eager to see this brand new store. The company is rebuilding it 7 days a week and it looks like they want to reopen it as soon as possible. It may be a matter of weeks. They cleared everything old out and all new equipment and fixtures are being brought in.

The crowds at the only other nearby Walmart store are huge. This area needs more retail stores. The people in the area demand it. There are wall to wall customers and parking lots overflowing with cars.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It is good they will be rebuilding and are moving quickly to do so. Given the closure in Oakland a few years ago I think they had to rebuild this one just to keep up with demand. Is the size going to increase?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The store will be the same size, although it looks like they will rearrange the floor plan to make the sales floor more spacious.