Closed stores because of protests

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Re: Closed stores because of protests

Post by Alpha8472 »

That is crazy. Even the stores in the white affluent suburbs are closed. The sad fact is that many suburban stores have been targeted by drive by robberies. Some people were armed with guns. The criminals have cars and are getting more daring and violent. It is a breakdown of society.

I saw footage of a Target being looted in Minneapolis, and most people were not even bothering to wear masks.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Target is closing these CA Stores for at least the next 14 days:

Alameda, Bayfair, Central San Francisco, Central Berkeley, San Jose College Park, Colma, East Palo Alto, Fashion Island Foster City, Mountain View, North Hayward, Oakland, Pinole, Emeryville, Redwood City, Richmond, Serramonte, San Francisco Folsom St., San Francisco 13th St., South San Francisco, Tanforan, University Ave. Berkeley and West Lake Daly City.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Closing is only a first step. They need steel doors to seal off the entrances. They need to get rid of those glass windows or cover them up. A shopping center in San Leandro, California has metal gates that drop down at night. Target should invest in sturdy metal shielding.

The looting is happening at many stores with glass fronts. They need to cover those windows with a rolling gate.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 30th, 2020, 11:13 pm Closing is only a first step. They need steel doors to seal off the entrances. They need to get rid of those glass windows or cover them up. A shopping center in San Leandro, California has metal gates that drop down at night. Target should invest in sturdy metal shielding.

The looting is happening at many stores with glass fronts. They need to cover those windows with a rolling gate.
Dillards has metal gates that go down on its store in Reno (this is a freestanding store not attached to an enclosed mall) when it is closed. I guess they know how to secure their stores properly.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: May 30th, 2020, 10:56 pm Target is closing these CA Stores for at least the next 14 days:

Alameda, Bayfair, Central San Francisco, Central Berkeley, San Jose College Park, Colma, East Palo Alto, Fashion Island Foster City, Mountain View, North Hayward, Oakland, Pinole, Emeryville, Redwood City, Richmond, Serramonte, San Francisco Folsom St., San Francisco 13th St., South San Francisco, Tanforan, University Ave. Berkeley and West Lake Daly City.
Based on the link from page 1, closures appear to have been significantly walked back to only a few stores, with most in MN and CA open (as of 5/31).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Target changed their minds again. I went to the distant suburbs of Oakland today and the Target stores are closed. I do not know if they were only opened for a limited time, but the stores were closed up around 4:30.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Target's website is not updated fully for the temporary closures anymore, they took many locations off the "temporarily closed" page that are still closed. Denver Downtown is still closed, multiple San Francisco and Los Angeles Stores are still closed, West Hollywood is still closed, and more If you go to their store locator you can see the store's actual schedule and many additional stores are closed or closed early today (like 5 PM).

Nordstrom Rack in Reno was closed this afternoon around 4 PM. I am not sure why. The store was open last week. The only sign posted was the store hours sign which according to that sign the store should have been open. So it is not clear if they opened today or didn't open but similar to klkla's experience with 3 closed retailers there was no signage indicating why the store is closed/when the store will open again.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The police just ordered everyone out of Safeway. The store is being evacuated. I am very close to the riots right now near Walnut Creek, California.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Earlier this afternoon I went out and tried to get my surge protector again. Staples was open and very busy.

Walgreens wussed out. Not only are they closed, but they boarded the place up.
walgreens.jpg
Then I noticed the local Dennys. It is completely closed and has been tagged and all signage removed. I didn't notice this yesterday. Strangely enough, they were stocking it with a lot of boxes.
dennys.jpg
Most other businesses on that thoroughfare were open but some interesting notes.

McDonalds was open but had all parking spaces roped off and a security card in a car on patrol.
McDonalds.jpg
Ralphs was open but partially boarded up and people were being funneled through one entrance. The other was boarded up completely.
ralphs.jpg
Sizzler had an employees car blocking off the entrance to the parking lot but strangely had someone working their 'drive thru'.
sizzler2.jpg
sizzler1.jpg
At about this time I received a text alert that the curfew was moved up from 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. It was already 5:00 so I high tailed it to my car and raced to the Gelson's in Hollywood which was already closed by 5:30 and then I went to Vons. The parking lot was full but I managed to find a space when someone left. It was pandemonium inside. Practically no meat left and the line literally stretched to the back of the store. I left without buying anything and bough dinner at 7-11 lol :oops:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: May 31st, 2020, 7:38 pm
Sizzler had an employees car blocking off the entrance to the parking lot but strangely had someone working their 'drive thru'.

Sizzler Drive Through does not look to be a very profitable venture. I am assuming that is a corporate owned location and not a franchise.

Did not see any Sizzlers doing drive through in NV/around Sacramento. All are under a variety of franchisees except I think one in Roseville is still a corporate Sizzler. Corporate Sizzlers were always a step above the typical Sizzler. Not sure how much that is saying. I always liked Sizzler, but most other people I have been involved with ranging from family to coworkers and went to Sizzler with were never too impressed.