Sprouts outlines strategy for future

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
klkla

Re: Sprouts outlines strategy for future

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: June 4th, 2020, 6:15 pm I think a difference to consider here is Trader Joe's has no meat room, deli room, bakery ovens, etc. in its stores. So the Trader Joe's space is very heavily tilted toward sales floor. Sprouts space has more non-sales floor use. So really the sales floor on the stores will be quite similar in size. Until Sprouts changes its mind again.
They do change their mind a lot about store size.

Even with the meat cutting room and deli prep (which is being downsized and they don't bake in-store) selling space will still be considerably larger than a Trader Joes. The Gelson's that I posted in the other thread is 24,000 square feet and the selling floor is way bigger than any TJ's I've ever been to.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: June 4th, 2020, 6:15 pm
klkla wrote: June 4th, 2020, 4:46 pm Some of these posts are comparing the new store size to Trader Joes. TJs maxes out at around 15,000 sq. ft. but Sprouts will still be opening stores up to 25,000 sq. ft.

From the article linked in the initial post: “Going forward,” he said, “our new stores will be smaller, 21,000 to 25,000 square feet."
I think a difference to consider here is Trader Joe's has no meat room, deli room, bakery ovens, etc. in its stores. So the Trader Joe's space is very heavily tilted toward sales floor. Sprouts space has more non-sales floor use. So really the sales floor on the stores will be quite similar in size. Until Sprouts changes its mind again.
And tiny backrooms as well. Most of them are nightmares to see.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Looks like Sprouts pulled over another former Wal Mart executive. This time to focus on fresh.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/executi ... h-merchant

Wal Mart has come a long ways on its fresh departments the past 5-10 years... I would say this is a loss for them.