Costco discontinues sheet cakes; retains 10 inch round cakes

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Costco discontinues sheet cakes; retains 10 inch round cakes

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: June 30th, 2020, 11:57 pm
I think the food courts needed to do something to reduce demand- they simply have too many customers, too little space. I remember long ago when there was no food court but a there was a hot dog cart up front that dispensed the hot dog and a can of soda cash only- not even a cash register. Cutting out some items may reduce traffic. If nothing else it gives more space for the few items left so they can serve faster. I have waited for a slice of pizza quite a few times in the past year or two, which never happened in the past. They are just slammed with customers, small work space with a lot of employees doing a lot of different things. There should be no waiting for anything at Costco- they are the model of efficiency to get your money in a flash and get you the product at rapid speed. The hot dog onions and relish went away too. Those dispensers always looked nasty to me (I never used them) but a lot of people seemed to use them. I think cutting food court items is a positive move. It is interesting the supreme pizza they could not have moved to some sort of pre cut pre portioned packets of sliced vegetables the locations could have opened up and thrown atop the pizza. But now there will be more space in the case for the cheese and pepperoni so hopefully they will not run out as often.
I worked in the Food Court for a while (one of the most overworked, underappreciated departments in the store where labor was always the tightest due to most items selling at break-even or a loss). The dispensers were (or were supposed to be) disassembled and cleaned nightly. Same with the inefficient yogurt/ice cream machine with dozens of tiny parts that had to be scrubbed down daily. Again, a tremendous waste of labor. The department had so many inefficiencies even before you looked at the food items themselves. May I add, employees having to pack little containers with sauerkraut instead of just having it in packets from the start. I really wish higher ups would spend a few days actually working in a department to see some of these things.

My location sold a huge amount of salads and 'combo' (veggie) pizzas, so it is a bit disappointing that both were scrapped. I rarely get the pizza now as Combo was one of my favorite options. The cheese pizzas still use a pound and a half of cheese which is a ridiculous amount. Costs could have been reduced there instead, but nope. Supposedly, the chicken bakes will return, but they will be frozen instead of made from scratch in the department. Now that I have to agree with, as the process to make them was tedious, and the amount sold and the $2.99 price meant it was a loss. the menu was becoming quite bloated and many items just did not move, I just think they cut in a couple of wrong places.

Edit: Going back to the bakery pies, I noticed today the cherry ones did have lattice on them, so I guess that wasn't entirely scrapped yet.