ALDI to add 70 new stores by next year

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

ALDI to add 70 new stores by next year

Post by J-Man »

Entering Arizona (Phoenix metro area) for the first time. New stores in California, Texas, Kansas, and New York.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: ALDI to add 70 new stores by next year

Post by CalItalian »

A list of possible Aldi locations in Arizona is at the bottom of this story https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 435417002/
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

You don't hear much about Aldi in SoCal as to market share...a lot of people just don't understand a store with one brand and not having the national brands (Trader Joe's is the exception). People want Coke, Pepsi and Doritos, not Aldi cola or chips. And most store-brand sodas are not very good.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Aldi does sell some national brands -- Coke being one of them. They also have Cheerios and some key major brand items in other categories (meat, personal care, cleaning, etc.)
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

J-Man wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 7:13 am Aldi does sell some national brands -- Coke being one of them. They also have Cheerios and some key major brand items in other categories (meat, personal care, cleaning, etc.)
They have also often done limited time offerings of name branded items when there was an option to get them cheap (overstocked, changing the package so they take the remaining older style or such).
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

jamcool wrote: July 21st, 2020, 1:30 pm You don't hear much about Aldi in SoCal as to market share...a lot of people just don't understand a store with one brand and not having the national brands (Trader Joe's is the exception). People want Coke, Pepsi and Doritos, not Aldi cola or chips. And most store-brand sodas are not very good.
I went to one of the recently opened Aldi stores (Peoria, AZ on Lake Pleasant Parkway) and I just don't get what the appeal is about.

The prices were decent but the mix of national and private label products was strange. Some sizes of a category were private label whereas others were national brands. The store just gave off a weird vibe where the product mix just felt incomplete.

To me the store reminded me of a mix of a Trader Joe's and a Smart and Final with potentially lower pricing but a much more limited selection.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: January 10th, 2021, 6:46 pm
I went to one of the recently opened Aldi stores (Peoria, AZ on Lake Pleasant Parkway) and I just don't get what the appeal is about.

The prices were decent but the mix of national and private label products was strange. Some sizes of a category were private label whereas others were national brands. The store just gave off a weird vibe where the product mix just felt incomplete.

To me the store reminded me of a mix of a Trader Joe's and a Smart and Final with potentially lower pricing but a much more limited selection.
That is exactly the appeal. Simple basics, at low prices. May be different brands different weeks on the same item. And supposedly very reliable quality of the private label item. Simple selection, you get in and get out quickly, with no distractions, no frills, etc.

I would be curious to see how much I'd shop at one of these stores, if there was one nearby. I am really not sure.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

This discussion has come up before. Same family but different branch as Trader Joe's. Very similar concept but for a different demographic and without the "fun" (Hawaiian shirts, etc.) of TJs. They have gradually expanded across the country since the 70s and seem to do just fine. They know their customers and how to gradually penetrate new markets. My guess is that they care about volume and profitability rather than market share and know how to build sufficient volumes to support being in so many places. I haven't lived close to one in awhile and have rarely gone to the stores except for doing it out of curiosity, but then I'm not their target customer.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Aldi seems to give off a “DDR” feel to me, plus they charge you for bags (which no other grocery chain in AZ does)
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

If you want basic high quality "staple" goods and not much of anything else and want those items at a good price, then Aldi is the place to shop. And as far as demographics are concerned, I've seen shoppers of all economic backgrounds in their stores. People recognize a good value when they see it. I can remember when they first came to this area and there was a hue and cry raised because they had the nerve to ask shoppers to "pay" to use a cart. When people saw that system for what it is (a way to keep carts out of the parking lot where they could damage customer's vehicles) they quickly accepted it and now it's pretty much an afterthought. And at least here in NYS, they were way ahead of their time in charging for bags but not to worry there because there were (and are) plenty of empty cardboard boxes for you to pack your groceries in and those are free. Speaking of packing your own groceries, I wonder given current conditions how they're handling that because those bagging tables can get pretty busy with customers standing shoulder to shoulder packing their orders. Also, are they wiping down those areas regularly? And by their very nature their stores are small to begin with and these days smaller is not better. I'm an Aldi fan and was a regular once a month shopper there until the current health emergency and if and when my comfort level allows, I absolutely plan on returning but from where I sit we're nowhere near that yet and won't be anytime soon.