Former Fresh & Easy executive

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Former Fresh & Easy executive

Post by veteran+ »

I worked for this man at Fresh & Easy until he was booted for trying so hard to course correct the company.

Brilliant man and a real people person!

Unfortunately English Hubris wouldn't have it.

Result? After over 3.5 billion dollars in loss with Fresh & Easy, Tesco continues to decline and Paul CONTINUES to thrive!

KARMA!

Correction to above link:

https://www.supermarketnews.com/issues- ... ess-leader
Last edited by veteran+ on July 27th, 2020, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: Former Fresh & Easy executive

Post by submariner »

veteran+ wrote: July 25th, 2020, 6:50 am I worked for this man at Fresh & Easy until he was booted for trying so hard to course correct the company.

Result? After over 3.5 billion dollars in loss with Fresh & Easy, Tesco continues to decline and Paul CONTINUES to thrive!

KARMA!

I think you may need to correct your link... (and yes, I've had my own dealings with English hubris, or as I classified it, classist elitism...)
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Thanks friend!!!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: July 25th, 2020, 6:50 am I worked for this man at Fresh & Easy until he was booted for trying so hard to course correct the company.

KARMA!

This guy is better off running full service high volume conventional stores vs. low volume small format stores with little staff and limited fresh departments. Better use of talent to run a more complex higher volume operation.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:44 pm

KARMA!

This guy is better off running full service high volume conventional stores vs. low volume small format stores with little staff and limited fresh departments. Better use of talent to run a more complex higher volume operation.

Could be, but he flourished at Trader Joe's.

That's why Tesco recruited him for Fresh & Easy, but they started stopping him from doing his thing because of their hubris.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: July 30th, 2020, 8:01 am

That's why Tesco recruited him for Fresh & Easy, but they started stopping him from doing his thing because of their hubris.
Good people will flourish anywhere. Except when they are set up to fail. As was the case at Fresh & Easy.

Though I would argue Trader Joe's is a rather complex operation given the volume it does in the store size it has, combined with its unusual (lack of) technology in its operation.

Fresh & Easy wanted a robot store. Trader Joe's is still very manual.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: July 31st, 2020, 11:30 pm
veteran+ wrote: July 30th, 2020, 8:01 am

Good people will flourish anywhere. Except when they are set up to fail. As was the case at Fresh & Easy.

Though I would argue Trader Joe's is a rather complex operation given the volume it does in the store size it has, combined with its unusual (lack of) technology in its operation.

Fresh & Easy wanted a robot store. Trader Joe's is still very manual.
Of course they are very different in that way, obviously.

Paul was not there to infuse technology at F&E. He was the soul of F&E and Tesco pushed back. Everything that was GOOD at F&E came from Paul. All the bad was forced onto the company by Tesco.............full stop.

Tesco was hell bent on forcing a technological version of Trader Joes, an inauthentic version and bare bones (as few humans as possible) experience.

The more Tesco removed local Top Talent and imported British hubris.........the faster the decline proceeded.