Wild Animals Entering Retail Stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Wild Animals Entering Retail Stores

Post by Alpha8472 »

Due to everyone staying at home, the streets of many cities are empty. Wild animals are venturing deep into cities during the daytime.

Bear in Safeway:

https://kutv.com/news/offbeat/video-bea ... -trash-can

Coyotes are also venturing into San Francisco in broad daylight. There have also been recent sightings of mountain lions in San Francisco as well. I would not have believed it, but there are videos.

I remember my mother telling me that she saw a wolf in her backyard and it lifted its head up to the sky and howled. I thought that she had finally lost it. But lo and behold I heard from other people that there are indeed coyotes the size of wolves in the county. There are no known wolves where she lives, but there are many coyotes and deer. Where there are no wolves, the coyotes grow to enormous sizes.
Super S

Re: Wild Animals Entering Retail Stores

Post by Super S »

With automatic doors, I have always wondered why we don't see more instances of this, particularly with grocery stores.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Wild Animals Entering Retail Stores

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

It's not a retail store but I'm a retired Letter Carrier and I had an elementary school on my route. They got visited by a moose one morning of all things. Mind you, the school was within city limits and the moose had to cross a very busy adjacent state highway to get there but somehow he did it. Kids enjoyed it though. I remember the next day on the front door they had taped a "moose crossing" sign. And this isn't a wild animal in a store story but when I was a kid I recall one time back in the 70's when I lived in Pa. being in an Acme Market after dark on a pretty cold night in the winter. You entered and exited the store through a small vestibule which instead of traditional flooring, had a heat grate (and ac in the summer of course.) I recall my parents doing their shopping and as we were leaving, a dog had apparently wandered in and was sleeping off in the corner on that heated floor all nice and warm. Wasn't bothering anybody either-just wanted to be somewhere where he wasn't cold.