Retail design trends

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Retail design trends

Post by storewanderer »

The Wal Mart remodels currently happening in Reno area are removing that faux wood flooring from clothing and moving it to cement. They aren't done yet- so it is possible they will come in there and put some flooring down. But it doesn't look like it will happen.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I noticed that the local Walmart has started to repaint the poles holding up the ceiling. Each pole is painted with a bar of a different color. The colors correspond to the new multi-colored Walmart Spark logo. Is the new Walmart decor going to multi-colored themed?
Last edited by Alpha8472 on September 28th, 2020, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: September 27th, 2020, 11:22 am
veteran+ wrote: September 26th, 2020, 6:04 am CVS does a lousy job of keeping those carpets clean, at least from what I have seen in S. California and S. Florida.

Really dirty looking!

Actually I am not impressed with their general store maintenance.

Cobwebs all over the windows, product and debris in between windows and sill, huge accumulation of dust and debris in between register and counter at pharmacy, etc. etc.
Both CVS and Walgreens have very poorly maintained stores. In my area the Walgreens are by far the worst on their exterior maintenance (dead landscaping, cobwebs all over the windows and building awnings, etc). Walgreens look a lot better inside, than they do outside. CVS, specifically those OLD Longs Stores, are smelly dumps inside and out. CVS is supposedly in the process of replacing a couple of the awful 40+ year old former Sav-Ons in Reno (one project is actually under construction, no clue what is happening with the other project but a big temporary pharmacy trailer has been sitting in the parking lot of the subject store for about 3 years now). Maybe once that project is done they can focus on the former 35+ year old OLD Longs Stores.

CVS has done some remodels to the 15-20 year old stores here that either they built, Longs built, or Rite Aid built (Longs took over briefly) and they replace the carpets in those stores, so it seems carpet is a CVS thing that is not going anywhere. I suspect CVS does these remodels to the newer stores to prevent them from falling into the disrepair of the smelly OLD Longs dumps. It is a shame in a sense as there was a time 30 years ago when those big Longs Stores were very vibrant places with lots of customers, tons of merchandise, and lots of employees. How times change.
The Walgreens I have seen in San Diego, Orange County and most of Los Angeles are pretty good and a notch below Rite Aid. But Rite Aid's presentation does not make up for their lousy customer service and attitude.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 12th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Target attempted polished concrete floors during last year's remodel of the Target store in Walnut Creek, California. The floor is a flexible suspended floor over the parking garage below the store. You can feel the floor bounce when heavy cars drive through the garage below. The floor had so many cracks that Target abandoned the concrete floor and hastily installed white tiles throughout the store.

The Target in nearby Dublin, California is being remodeled and they are using white tile as well. Target realized that concrete floors look really bad and will use tile from now on.
Target is back to polished concrete conversions, but with a new twist: stenciled painted on patterns. Redlands is being remodeled right now and converted to this new polished concrete, which also is bringing what I would call "super P-fresh" and the return of doors on both ends of the store. They have added a new entrance on the grocery side which will host order pickup. Smart idea because if you have a online or curbside pickup order you will park in the "less busy" end of the parking lot. As far as the new layout - it looks like a Super Target minus the service deli and bakery counters. They've given up on the weird curved racetrack that they created in stores like Irvine Spectrum where the main aisle would curve around fixtures. It also has new wayfinding that I have never seen in any Target - they have actual hanging red cube shaped aisle signs in every department like a grocery store; foods has the same black and woodgrain signs as all other Targets unless they're going to swap out for the cubes which might still be happening. Looks like the store is about two weeks from being done, and it looks fantastic.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

ClownLoach wrote: October 20th, 2020, 8:50 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: September 12th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Target attempted polished concrete floors during last year's remodel of the Target store in Walnut Creek, California. The floor is a flexible suspended floor over the parking garage below the store. You can feel the floor bounce when heavy cars drive through the garage below. The floor had so many cracks that Target abandoned the concrete floor and hastily installed white tiles throughout the store.

The Target in nearby Dublin, California is being remodeled and they are using white tile as well. Target realized that concrete floors look really bad and will use tile from now on.
Target is back to polished concrete conversions, but with a new twist: stenciled painted on patterns. Redlands is being remodeled right now and converted to this new polished concrete, which also is bringing what I would call "super P-fresh" and the return of doors on both ends of the store. They have added a new entrance on the grocery side which will host order pickup. Smart idea because if you have a online or curbside pickup order you will park in the "less busy" end of the parking lot. As far as the new layout - it looks like a Super Target minus the service deli and bakery counters. They've given up on the weird curved racetrack that they created in stores like Irvine Spectrum where the main aisle would curve around fixtures. It also has new wayfinding that I have never seen in any Target - they have actual hanging red cube shaped aisle signs in every department like a grocery store; foods has the same black and woodgrain signs as all other Targets unless they're going to swap out for the cubes which might still be happening. Looks like the store is about two weeks from being done, and it looks fantastic.
The red cube aisle markers is something that I've seen installed recently at several Targets over aisles that have consumables. I like it as the lack of aisle markers has always made Target a bit hard to navigate.