Costco adding self-checkouts again

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Costco adding self-checkouts again

Post by veteran+ »

I am really surprised about these WINCO reports regarding their employees at the self check out or anywhere in the store.

All I ever heard about these employees in the past was hard working, great attitude, driven, uber productive, high moral, etc. etc.

This could portend that there is trouble from within that will begin to reveal itself going forward.

Interesting........
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 4:25 am I am really surprised about these WINCO reports regarding their employees at the self check out or anywhere in the store.

All I ever heard about these employees in the past was hard working, great attitude, driven, uber productive, high moral, etc. etc.

This could portend that there is trouble from within that will begin to reveal itself going forward.

Interesting........
You just described the day shift weekday employees at WinCo who are on ESOP.

Go see the part timers scheduled just enough hours to not qualify for the ESOP working the mid and swing shift at WinCo and you will see something much different.

I think WinCo is a great store with decent products and a great concept but its customer service (at least at this South Reno location I frequent) is not good. The store does run pretty well... well stocked, orderly, robotic almost. The focus is clearly on tasks, not customer service on the sales floor. But at checkout that person's job is customer service, they have no other tasks (well, clean off the counters and fill up the bags).
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 10:01 pm
veteran+ wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 4:25 am I am really surprised about these WINCO reports regarding their employees at the self check out or anywhere in the store.

Interesting........
You just described the day shift weekday employees at WinCo who are on ESOP.

Go see the part timers scheduled just enough hours to not qualify for the ESOP working the mid and swing shift at WinCo and you will see something much different.

I think WinCo is a great store with decent products and a great concept but its customer service (at least at this South Reno location I frequent) is not good. The store does run pretty well... well stocked, orderly, robotic almost. The focus is clearly on tasks, not customer service on the sales floor. But at checkout that person's job is customer service, they have no other tasks (well, clean off the counters and fill up the bags).
I wonder how sustainable that is................

Mixed bag of customer service has long term deleterious effects.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The Winco locations here are a bit of a mixed bag. In general the customer service interactions have been reasonably OK, but some of the store brand products are seriously lacking. On more than one occasion we've gotten Winco brand bread that turned out to already have mold, or the Anderson Dairy milk that spoiled before the expiration date. We haven't had any problems if we stick to the name brand products or with any of the store brand center store items, but at this point we pretty much just avoid the Winco branded perimeter items.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Moving back to Costco....

Self-checkouts are ideal for small transactions. This is good for those who live relatively close to Costco and just need a couple of small items. But they also need to keep adequate traditional cashiers, mainly because Costco is still a "destination" store for many who drive from out of town and make large purchases.

Costco for the most part seems to have pretty well staffed front ends and they process orders fairly quickly, and usually has a second person boxing stuff (I have always wondered why this setup couldn't be used at Winco)

Hopefully Costco doesn't end up like some stores which rely on self checkout more than actual cashiers.