Albertsons outsources home delivery in "several divisions" - fires drivers- switches to third party services

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Albertsons outsources home delivery in "several divisions" - fires drivers- switches to third party services

Post by veteran+ »

I thought that transporting frozen and refrigerated products must abide by COOL chain food and safety laws.

This seems ripe for problems.
Alpha8472

Re: Albertsons outsources home delivery in "several divisions" - fires drivers- switches to third party services

Post by Alpha8472 »

Doordash drivers are not required to have refrigeration. This could lead to spoiled food, but usually Doordash deliveries do not take too long.

A Northern California Safeway representative told a local news station that Doordash will take over this region too. Safeway will try to place impacted associates in other jobs.

This is all about getting rid of employees with benefits and using Doordash people who do not have as many benefits. It is a cost cutting measure.

With Safeway delivery, you are not allowed to tip drivers. With Doordash the drivers expect to be tipped. I used Safeway Delivery years ago. The Safeway employee restocked my refrigerator and did all the work. At that time, I really appreciated their hard work and good customer service. That will be gone with Doordash.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It is my understanding a very small number of NorCal stores specifically in the bay area will continue to have the Safeway trucks/Safeway drivers. Also Seattle is not being impacted by this.

Safeway was charging higher prices for every non-sale item plus a service fee on every order for this service. I would assume or hope under the new set up, their pricing will be the same as in-store prices are. This way they will be more competitive with the other delivery services which typically offer in-store prices to these delivery orders then tack on a service fee for the service.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Interesting article on Albertsons online efforts here
https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... 0-business

Quite a good read, high level of detail.