Reopening of self serve loose food bars

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Reopening of self serve loose food bars

Post by storewanderer »

In Reno self serve loose food bars are reopening rapidly in the past couple of days.

At Maverik the donuts are now on trays again and you take with tissue paper and put into the bag or box.

At WinCo the entire bulk foods section barrels, tubs, and bins with unwrapped dry pasta/nuts, candy, etc. are all open as well. At WinCo they have one box of tissue paper per aisle and there is a sign that says to take tissue paper and use tissue paper to touch the bin and the scoop.

At Raleys the self serve by the pound hot food, soup, and salad bar is reopened and fully self serve; wasn't even an employee watching what was going on (well, nothing was going on, nobody was buying it). This one they have a table at the base of the fixtures that has a container of hand sanitizer and bakery tissue paper with the instruction being to sanitize your hands first and then use the tissue paper to handle the scoops.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Reopening of self serve loose food bars

Post by kr.abs.swy »

On my most recent trip to WinCo, at an Oregon store, I saw two employees that were just wearing face shields, both in the front of the store and one of them a checker. Those face shields are better than nothing, but guidance is clear that masks are strongly preferred. I haven't seen such a halfassed approach at any other store in months.

I suppose it is possible that they both had a health condition ... but neither was elderly and both looked healthy.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

kr.abs.swy wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 9:36 pm On my most recent trip to WinCo, at an Oregon store, I saw two employees that were just wearing face shields, both in the front of the store and one of them a checker. Those face shields are better than nothing, but guidance is clear that masks are strongly preferred. I haven't seen such a halfassed approach at any other store in months.

I suppose it is possible that they both had a health condition ... but neither was elderly and both looked healthy.
WinCo was actually the first place I went and saw the bulk loose foods reopened... when I saw Maverik and Raleys both too (Raleys basically the same implementation as WinCo) I couldn't bag on WinCo specifically anymore.

I've seen face shields at a number of stores on employees. One store I went to the employee was a cashier and wearing one for a while due to mask/glasses hassle, but ended up switching back to a regular mask due to concerns expressed by customers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Raleys has already reversed course and closed back up its self serve hot food, self serve salad, and self serve soup bar...

That didn't take long... not even a week?

I wonder what went wrong..?

I mean... what could possibly go wrong? The first time someone coughs within hearing distance of the thing you probably need to quarantine all the food that was sitting out in the open air. With dry air, heavy wind, etc. it is not unusual for people who are not sick to cough every now and then here in Nevada.

WinCo still bulk as usual a couple days ago. Maybe the sour gummy worms kill virus. Will definitely make sure to pick some of those up.