Supermarkets giving COVID vaccines in your area

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Re: Supermarkets giving COVID vaccines in your area

Post by Alpha8472 »

I work in a pharmacy, and the online appointments are all booked up. However, people always cancel at the last minute or do not show up for their appointments. You could keep checking and minutes later an opening will magically appear.

My pharmacy takes down names and phone numbers of interested people because we always have leftover vaccines after 4 pm or 11:30 am on weekends. Sometimes we are desperate to get people to come in.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on April 18th, 2021, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 17th, 2021, 9:22 pm I work in a pharmacy, and the online appointments are all booked up. However, people always cancel at the last minute or do now show up for their appointments. You could keep checking and minutes later an opening will magically appear.

My pharmacy takes down names and phone numbers of interested people because we always have leftover vaccines after 4 pm or 11:30 am on weekends. Sometimes we are desperate to get people to come in.
I was in a different Wal Mart this afternoon and same story. PA announcement came on that they had 3 vaccines left. 15-20 minutes later the page gets repeated. Did not hear it again after that so maybe they found some takers, but may have been gone before they repeated the page again.

Maybe Wal Mart isn't the right venue to sell shots on impulse. Maybe Target would be a better option.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Some people are hesitant to get vaccinated in that they are afraid of side effects. I had 2 shots already and the only symptoms were a sore arm and a headache. One woman complained that the vaccine gave her gray hair and shaking chills. She was totally serious about the gray hair.

So far out of the many people vaccinated, I saw one person faint. It was a man. These are the people who you least expect will faint from the poke of a needle. This is why they require that you sit down for at least 15 minutes after a vaccination. My friend in college had his blood taken, and the moment he got poked, he passed out. Big huge men knocked out by a little poke...
Last edited by Alpha8472 on April 19th, 2021, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:47 pm This is why they require that you sit down for at least 15 minutes after a vaccination. My friend in college had his blood taken, and the moment he got poked, he passed out. Big huge men knocked out by a little poke...
Not all places are doing that. The one drugstore here just asked people to stay for 15 minutes and had chairs available, but didn't monitor that anyone stay seated for that time (which actually makes sense - if people are staying and can wander around the store, seems likely they may find items that they will buy, and if there is an issue they can always be taken care of as they are still in proximity, of course a bit easier in a pharmacy store than a Walmart sized one).
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:47 pm
So far out of the many people vaccinated, I saw one person faint. It was a man. These are the people who you least expect will faint from the poke of a needle. This is why they require that you sit down for at least 15 minutes after a vaccination. My friend in college had his blood taken, and the moment he got poked, he passed out. Big huge men knocked out by a little poke...
'Funny' enough, I fainted a few minutes after getting the J&J vaccine at a Costco pharmacy, but I have fainted once or twice in the past, at times not involving needles or being at a doctor or anything (I received tetnus and other routine booster shots last year without issue). It's actually a condition called vasovagal syncope which I likely have, and isn't necessarily triggered by the vaccine itself, it's more of a mental thing. They called the EMT's to check me out as I freaked everyone in the Pharmacy out (and likely others in line to get their shot next :) ) but I was back to normal after a couple minutes.