Remaining unfilled Haggen stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Remaining unfilled Haggen stores

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

There are apparently a few closed Haggen stores that remain unfilled by new tenants.
34442 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85266: mid 90's build Albertsons that got a high-end Jewel remodel around 2004 or so. Located 2 miles south from a Bashas, a mile north of a Safeway (next to a Target), and 3 miles east of a Fry's Signature (near an unprofitable Walmart).
1416 W Historic Rte 66, Flagstaff, AZ 86001: a clone of the North Scottsdale Albertsons. Across the street from a Fry's. Albertsons should probably be able to buy it back.
7450 AZ-69, Prescott Valley, AZ 86314: another mid-90's Albertsons. Located across from a Safeway-anchored shopping center. I could see Bashas taking this store.
820 S Rampart Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89145: former Vons. In the same center as a Target. Whole Foods across the street. Located 2 miles from an Albertsons, a Smith's, another Albertsons, and 3 miles from a Costco.
10830 SE Oak St, Milwaukie, OR 97222: late 80's build Albertsons. Located 4/5 of a mile from a Safeway. Not much competition within 2 miles.
Super S

Re: Remaining unfilled Haggen stores

Post by Super S »

I think the Tualatin, OR Haggen (which was built as a Haggen) also remains empty.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

The Boulder City, Nevada, Vons / Haggen was empty for a while and may still be. Something called "Medolac Labs" comes up in that location on Google Maps right now. I have no idea if that is temporary or permanent or if they are taking the whole space. Albertsons really scored a nice monopoly in Boulder City through the Haggen fiasco, with a modern Albertsons up the street and no material competition anywhere else in Boulder City.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Safeway already has 3 stores in Flagstaff- Near NAU, Eastside on Hwy 89, and a mile or two north of the Haggen site
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 13th, 2021, 11:34 am There are apparently a few closed Haggen stores that remain unfilled by new tenants.
34442 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85266: mid 90's build Albertsons that got a high-end Jewel remodel around 2004 or so. Located 2 miles south from a Bashas, a mile north of a Safeway (next to a Target), and 3 miles east of a Fry's Signature (near an unprofitable Walmart).
1416 W Historic Rte 66, Flagstaff, AZ 86001: a clone of the North Scottsdale Albertsons. Across the street from a Fry's. Albertsons should probably be able to buy it back.
7450 AZ-69, Prescott Valley, AZ 86314: another mid-90's Albertsons. Located across from a Safeway-anchored shopping center. I could see Bashas taking this store.
820 S Rampart Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89145: former Vons. In the same center as a Target. Whole Foods across the street. Located 2 miles from an Albertsons, a Smith's, another Albertsons, and 3 miles from a Costco.
10830 SE Oak St, Milwaukie, OR 97222: late 80's build Albertsons. Located 4/5 of a mile from a Safeway. Not much competition within 2 miles.
That far north Scottsdale Store did little to no business as Haggen (literally almost zero). Part of the problem was the seasonal nature of the area when Haggen was open was in the hot months. The Safeway nearby got the Pavilions interior and was already one of the nicest Safeways in AZ (has the Genuardi's layout).

I think at this point the vacant stores will probably stay vacant. Perhaps Amazon will bite on a few of them. North Scottsdale may be just right.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 13th, 2021, 11:34 am There are apparently a few closed Haggen stores that remain unfilled by new tenants.
The store on Oak street in Milwaukie suffers from having a Fred Meyer, Safeway, Walmart Neighborhood Market and a Grocery Outlet nearby within the trade area. The demographics are weak for a higher end store and I doubt would take it as a entry into the market. Not a bad mall but is challenged du e to circumstances..

The Tualatin Haggens is another story. I've heard the landlord is asking too much. There's a lot of retail in the area. It's best short term bet might be as a small format Target. And it would be a great Amazon Fresh spot. Winco could work there too

There are still a lot of vacant Albertsons in the Portland market including Wilsonville and, Peterkort Square.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: April 13th, 2021, 7:17 pm
That far north Scottsdale Store did little to no business as Haggen (literally almost zero). Part of the problem was the seasonal nature of the area when Haggen was open was in the hot months. The Safeway nearby got the Pavilions interior and was already one of the nicest Safeways in AZ (has the Genuardi's layout).

I think at this point the vacant stores will probably stay vacant. Perhaps Amazon will bite on a few of them. North Scottsdale may be just right.
That store didn't do a ton of business as Albertsons either. My wife worked next door at the veterinary clinic for about 6 months (the clinic wasn't all that busy either). Despite being in good demographics and at a busy intersection, there just isn't a ton of year round residential close to that intersection (the Fry's and Safeway are in better locations closer to year round residents).

Interesting that that Walmart is unprofitable. It's a weird area. After Walmart opened Tractor Supply opened a store across the street, Sprout's has opened a store next to Tractor Supply, and then there's the longstanding Fry's Signature a few blocks away from the Sprouts / Walmart. I'd imagine Walmart doesn't close because a.) shrink isn't an issue at this location and b.) the closest Walmarts to this location are 15 - 20 minutes away and if Walmart wants to serve a higher end clientele they need to keep this store.

I don't believe the former Haggen it's a great location for Amazon. Amazon would do better at either the closed Albertsons in Scottsdale (Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd / Loop 101) or the closed Safeway in Scottsdale (Frank Lloyd Wright / Via Linda) although I think that Albertsons owns both of the closed locations and would rather keep them dark then let a competitor in.

There is a former Bashas' further south at Thompson Peak Parkway / Scottsdale Rd that would make a far better Amazon location (although part of it has been subdivided into some medical offices).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:44 pm That store didn't do a ton of business as Albertsons either. My wife worked next door at the veterinary clinic for about 6 months (the clinic wasn't all that busy either). Despite being in good demographics and at a busy intersection, there just isn't a ton of year round residential close to that intersection (the Fry's and Safeway are in better locations closer to year round residents).

Interesting that that Walmart is unprofitable. It's a weird area.

I don't believe the former Haggen it's a great location for Amazon.

There is a former Bashas' further south at Thompson Peak Parkway / Scottsdale Rd that would make a far better Amazon location (although part of it has been subdivided into some medical offices).
I'm thinking the North Haggen is a good spot for Amazon due to the access to roads mainly. As far as being a place where a lot of physical customers come in, nope, not a great spot at all.

Is there a way to tell when a Wal Mart is unprofitable? Wal Marts are a little bit funny to detect performance. With Neighborhood Markets that have hardly any customers it is easy enough to see the underperformance and eventual closure is no surprise but the larger stores I've seen them close very high traffic stores evidently not profitable due to theft.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:09 pm I'm thinking the North Haggen is a good spot for Amazon due to the access to roads mainly. As far as being a place where a lot of physical customers come in, nope, not a great spot at all.

Is there a way to tell when a Wal Mart is unprofitable? Wal Marts are a little bit funny to detect performance. With Neighborhood Markets that have hardly any customers it is easy enough to see the underperformance and eventual closure is no surprise but the larger stores I've seen them close very high traffic stores evidently not profitable due to theft.
The Cave Creek Walmart is in a very wealthy area. Walmart usually doesn't do as strong in wealthy areas, as upper middle class/wealthy consumers aren't really price sensitive.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

3443 S. Sepulveda in West Los Angeles is currently for rent. Former Haggen, Albertsons, Grocery Warehouse. There is a former Lucky across the street that is now CVS & Trader Joe's. Vons is just up the street (as well as a Ralphs on the other side of the 405 freeway).

There had been talk of a 7-story mixed use building dating back to 2018/19 that would replace it but that's now fallen through. For a year or so, SnapChat had occupied the property and removed a lot of the interior for its server equipment. It was surrounded by a chain link fence during the time which looked horrible.

Parking lot and interior were also used for Halloween store, pumpkins and Christmas trees.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3443-S- ... /17194818/