Remaining unfilled Haggen stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Remaining unfilled Haggen stores

Post by veteran+ »

Awful store, not a nice area and ingress - egress a real problem.

Really should not be a retail business requiring high traffic/volume.
Super S

Post by Super S »

babs wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:27 pm
The Tualatin Haggens is another story. I've heard the landlord is asking too much. There's a lot of retail in the area. It's best short term bet might be as a small format Target. And it would be a great Amazon Fresh spot. Winco could work there too
There is already a relatively new full size Target down the road in Sherwood, next to an even newer Walmart. That alone makes a small format Target unlikely. That Target is also near an Albertsons-turned-Haggen which appears to be vacant and across the road from a Safeway. If I remember correctly they turned that into a Haggen and closed the Tualatin Haggen at the same time which didn't make a whole lot of sense. The true Haggen stores were much nicer than any of the conversions I have seen.

That Tualatin Haggen location also suffers from having a railroad crossing on the east side of the property across one of the entrances to the shopping center, although I am not sure how much use those tracks get.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:34 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:09 pm I'm thinking the North Haggen is a good spot for Amazon due to the access to roads mainly. As far as being a place where a lot of physical customers come in, nope, not a great spot at all.

Is there a way to tell when a Wal Mart is unprofitable? Wal Marts are a little bit funny to detect performance. With Neighborhood Markets that have hardly any customers it is easy enough to see the underperformance and eventual closure is no surprise but the larger stores I've seen them close very high traffic stores evidently not profitable due to theft.
The Cave Creek Walmart is in a very wealthy area. Walmart usually doesn't do as strong in wealthy areas, as upper middle class/wealthy consumers aren't really price sensitive.
A lot of people live out in the wilds north and east of Cave Creek, so Walmart is a stock up place.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Super S wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:44 am That Target is also near an Albertsons-turned-Haggen which appears to be vacant and across the road from a Safeway.
That space is now a Hobby Lobby :(
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

There's also a vacant former Haggen store in Arlington WA, although that one was a pre-merger store.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

jamcool wrote: April 14th, 2021, 9:39 am
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:34 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:09 pm I'm thinking the North Haggen is a good spot for Amazon due to the access to roads mainly. As far as being a place where a lot of physical customers come in, nope, not a great spot at all.

Is there a way to tell when a Wal Mart is unprofitable? Wal Marts are a little bit funny to detect performance. With Neighborhood Markets that have hardly any customers it is easy enough to see the underperformance and eventual closure is no surprise but the larger stores I've seen them close very high traffic stores evidently not profitable due to theft.
The Cave Creek Walmart is in a very wealthy area. Walmart usually doesn't do as strong in wealthy areas, as upper middle class/wealthy consumers aren't really price sensitive.
A lot of people live out in the wilds north and east of Cave Creek, so Walmart is a stock up place.
That's why I'm not sure if it's unprofitable. It doesn't have the crime / shrink issue that inner city Walmarts have, it's on the small end as far as supercenters go, and there isn't another Walmart close by (closest is 22 minutes away) (and the Targets that are close by serve a different demographic). After Walmart went in Tractor Supply also went in (and Tractor Supply isn't really a store you think of for a high end area).
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

CalItalian wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:48 pm 3443 S. Sepulveda in West Los Angeles is currently for rent. Former Haggen, Albertsons, Grocery Warehouse. There is a former Lucky across the street that is now CVS & Trader Joe's. Vons is just up the street (as well as a Ralphs on the other side of the 405 freeway).

There had been talk of a 7-story mixed use building dating back to 2018/19 that would replace it but that's now fallen through. For a year or so, SnapChat had occupied the property and removed a lot of the interior for its server equipment. It was surrounded by a chain link fence during the time which looked horrible.

Parking lot and interior were also used for Halloween store, pumpkins and Christmas trees.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3443-S- ... /17194818/
Albertsons should probably buy back this space, tear it down, and build a store with rooftop parking.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

They would have to lobby the city to change the ingress - egress issue.
BreakingThrough
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by BreakingThrough »

What about San Marcos, CA (Rancho Santa Fe Rd. & San Marcos Blvd.)? Former Vons, I believe then became Haggen. Now vacant; was just down in that shopping center last week.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

BreakingThrough wrote: April 14th, 2021, 5:03 pm What about San Marcos, CA (Rancho Santa Fe Rd. & San Marcos Blvd.)? Former Vons, I believe then became Haggen. Now vacant; was just down in that shopping center last week.
Vons bought back that store and shut it down last year.