Kroger- self checkout modification

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Kroger- self checkout modification

Post by arizonaguy »

Looks like Kroger is trying to get into the "smart cart" game (although it simply appears to be a more advanced version of Scan, Bag, Go).

https://www.kroger.com/i/ways-to-shop/krogo

Unless the shopping cart has a scale I believe that this could lead to massive shrink. Then again I use the Scan and Go app at Sam's Club all the time.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

It is easy to miss, but the instructions indicate you should weigh your reusable bags (which are required to use the cart) before starting. That implies there is a scale.

I wanna see what the Kro-go Krogi will look like. :D
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

arizonaguy wrote: May 6th, 2021, 9:03 am Then again I use the Scan and Go app at Sam's Club all the time.
The warehouse clubs have the mandatory receipt check at the door. And at Sam's they actually have to scan some of the merchandise to check against what you actually rang up. Scale or not in the Kroger cart I'm curious if their process includes any sort of human verification of what you are purchasing. Regional convenience store Sheetz has a scan and go function in their app. From what I read in the Sheetz subreddit employees are saying that since Sheetz corporate says employees can't challenge scan and go customers no one is really sure if folks checking out through the app are ringing up everything they are actually taking with them.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

arizonaguy wrote: May 6th, 2021, 9:03 am
Unless the shopping cart has a scale I believe that this could lead to massive shrink.
If it's anything like the carts used at Amazon Fresh, the carts should have a pressure pad in the bottom that will allow items to be weighed.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mjhale wrote: May 6th, 2021, 4:49 pm
arizonaguy wrote: May 6th, 2021, 9:03 am Then again I use the Scan and Go app at Sam's Club all the time.
The warehouse clubs have the mandatory receipt check at the door. And at Sam's they actually have to scan some of the merchandise to check against what you actually rang up. Scale or not in the Kroger cart I'm curious if their process includes any sort of human verification of what you are purchasing. Regional convenience store Sheetz has a scan and go function in their app. From what I read in the Sheetz subreddit employees are saying that since Sheetz corporate says employees can't challenge scan and go customers no one is really sure if folks checking out through the app are ringing up everything they are actually taking with them.
Can't speak for the Kroger Cart but with the Kroger Scan Bag Go they would do random audits of certain transactions with Scan Bag Go. The Audit meant they took all your items and scanned them at a regular checkstand and compared the total there to the total you scanned while using the Scan Bag Go. In some cases the results of the audits were so bad that they pulled the equipment out of stores entirely.