Costco Bad Tasting Water

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Costco Bad Tasting Water

Post by Alpha8472 »

Costco has been limiting bottled water sales due to a shortage, but what is really disturbing is foul tasting water. It tastes like fish tank water.

Eat This, Not That! is reporting Costco water that tastes like lake water or fish tank water that is giving people upset stomachs. I have been feeling sick to my stomach recently. I have a fish tank, and fish tanks smell foul due to all the bacteria from fish waste.
storewanderer

Re: Costco Bad Tasting Water

Post by storewanderer »

Try the bottled water at Trader Joe's. First off it is spring water. Much better (and cheaper... yes cheaper).
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Spring water is required to have the spring source listed on the bottle. Plain drinking water is just purified city water. Is the Costco water purified drinking water or spring water.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

It was Kirkland Purified Water in 16.9 Oz bottles. I assume that this is not spring water.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

jamcool wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 1:32 pm Spring water is required to have the spring source listed on the bottle. Plain drinking water is just purified city water. Is the Costco water purified drinking water or spring water.
I don't know if it varies by state but here in NY every bottle of purified water I've ever seen lists the source as well.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 12:51 pm Try the bottled water at Trader Joe's. First off it is spring water. Much better (and cheaper... yes cheaper).
Crystal Geyser makes their water - I think it comes out of the Weed (Mt Shasta) plant. Not sure if they get any from Olancha or not.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I saw New York water on sale at the Kmart in Concord, California before it closed. I hear that even New York tap water is from the mountains and is very pure.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 4th, 2021, 9:36 pm I saw New York water on sale at the Kmart in Concord, California before it closed. I hear that even New York tap water is from the mountains and is very pure.
If you mean New York (CITY) tap water, that is correct. They have a large reservoir in the Catskills that it comes from - now, how pure it is by the time it makes it to the tap depends on how well they maintain the infrastructure that gets it from the reservoir to the tap.

Other parts of NY have water from their local areas and can be good or not so good (including a couple areas that have had issues where they had to stop using the local water with contamination, particularly PFOA).
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

New York City tap water seems to have a certain reputation to it, as some people believe that the water is what makes New York bagels and New York Pizza unique and why other places can't make them quite as well. Of course it's all pretty subjective, but it would explain why there might be a market for New York Water outside of New York.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I've had a lot of bottled water over the years that just flat out tastes bad. I think the bottles if they get hot start to somehow move plastic flavor into the water. Many private labels use a very thin bottle and this thin bottle whenever I get one is just awful. I bought bundle of them back around March or April as I needed some to take somewhere I was going to be sitting around for a few days and I don't remember which private label it was but it was one of the ones bottled by Niagara. That water just tasted awful, the bottles were so limp they were like accordions and the caps were so small I am amazed they sealed the bottles. I ended up using the rest of them to water houseplants.

Then I got a bunch of tickets for free water from Safeway Monopoly. What is interesting when I was claiming the free water is some of the Safeway bottles were very thin, and others were thicker bottles. Some divisions had bottled Spring Water (NorCal does not). I tried to get the thicker bottles when redeeming. That water tasted fine.