19 More Albertsons/Save-a-Lot/Lucky Stores Closing

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

19 More Albertsons/Save-a-Lot/Lucky Stores Closing

Post by Jeff »

Seems like most are former Lucky stores. Its sad to see them closing but with Target and Walmart expanding food.... im not suprised. Three are closing in the same area: colima/azusa, colima/fairway and amar/nogales. The latter two are former Luckys. The first one has always been an Albersons ad really all three are the only non-Asian oriented market in the arerea..
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Albersons Closing 19 more stores

Post by kr.abs.swy »

Here is the list: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162- ... sing-list/

The Corvallis store is an older location, in an older strip mall, with an arched roof. It hadn't received the new SuperValu remodel. It was definitely showing its age, particularly on the outside. A new Walmart Neighborhood Market is under construction within a couple of miles. Within a 5 minute drive, it competed (or should I say failed to compete) with a WinCo (which is less than a 5 minute walk away), Safeway, Fred Meyer, Market of Choice, Trader Joe's, and Grocery Outlet. The prices were absolutely, shockingly bad -- materially higher than Safeway and Fred Meyer. http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/ ... f887a.html

It is sad to see Albertsons stores closing in communities where it operated for decades, like La Grande, Oregon; and Blackfoot, Idaho (closed several years ago).
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

Brookhurst & Katella was my local store. Harbor & Garden Grove Blvd. was the second closest. Not horribly surprising since it hadn't been remodeled, and a new independent kinda-sorta-whole-foods-ish grocery store opened in the same complex in the old Drug Emporium location. The nearest store after the closures will be three miles away. So much for that, anyways.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Suggestion: This should be moved to "Non Region-Specific" as it involves more than California.

I visited the Lagrande, Oregon store a few years ago, and it looked pretty tired at that time and still had the blue-gray interior. That closure is not surprising. It shared a strip mall with a VERY old and tired-looking Rite Aid which was a former PayLess Drug. Not sure if the Rite Aid is still open.

The Save-A-Lot concept didn't seem to catch on in Washington/Oregon. Portland only had a handful of locations, and one across the river in Vancouver, WA closed a few years back. And, I believe the location in The Dalles, Oregon was a former arched-roof Albertsons, which closed several years ago. Worth noting is that The Dalles does not have Winco, or Walmart nearby.

I am still surprised that no Albertsons stores in Boise are on the list. There are several locations where Albertsos has stores located very close to one another, and competition has grown in recent years as Fred Meyer, WinCo, and Walmart, and recently Roseaurs, have opened new stores.
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by KingU8ol0Soopers »

Super S wrote:Suggestion: This should be moved to "Non Region-Specific" as it involves more than California.
The topic has been moved, thanks!

(And the title has been modified.)
Forum Moderator
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Another quick suggestion - since this is now in the Non Region Specific section, perhaps the title should be updated, since there are also a number of Save-A-Lot stores and also a few Acme locations (several of which appear from the Acme blog to be last or close to last of a particular style stores)?
VibeGuy
Cashier
Cashier

Re: 19 More Albertsons/Save-a-Lot/Lucky Stores Closing

Post by VibeGuy »

This looks like a total retreat from the Save-A-Lot concept in the PNW, then, no? Will any locations remain?

The Port Orchard one had decent produce when they opened, but the merchandise mix and pricing really slipped after the first year. Wal-Mart did a Supercenter conversion, Saars did an excellent freshening (including a big redo of the produce section) and Winco is aggressively marketing in PO (most people who live here work and shop elsewhere, so they don't need to make a special trip for stock-up-type shopping).

E
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Looks like the Albertson's near my GF's house in Kirkland is on the chopping block, which doesn't surprise me since I think there's more staff than customers most times I'm there (and even then, we're mostly just there to use the Redbox.) I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rite Aid store (an older store in pretty rough shape) next door follow suit shortly afterward, leading to the property (which would then be vacant) eventually getting redeveloped into apartments.

Of course, at this point if SuperValu got rid of all their underperforming stores I suspect there wouldn't be any left.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Well the one closing in Marysville is very close to the WinCo there. No surprise. A tired mid 90's blue gray store.

The one closing in Auburn, I forget... I want to say it is an older store remodeled/expanded into the grocery palace... Fred Meyer and Top Foods are both pretty close.

The one closing in Lacey is a late 80's store remodeled probably twice, there is a small non-lifestyle Safeway right across the street. I'm a little surprised by that closure. Again WinCo is pretty close. And Safeway has a good location lock in the Olympia/Lacey market.

I'm surprised the one in Tumwater is not closing.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote:Well the one closing in Marysville is very close to the WinCo there. No surprise. A tired mid 90's blue gray store.

The one closing in Auburn, I forget... I want to say it is an older store remodeled/expanded into the grocery palace... Fred Meyer and Top Foods are both pretty close.

The one closing in Lacey is a late 80's store remodeled probably twice, there is a small non-lifestyle Safeway right across the street. I'm a little surprised by that closure. Again WinCo is pretty close. And Safeway has a good location lock in the Olympia/Lacey market.

I'm surprised the one in Tumwater is not closing.
I was in Tumwater a week ago and drove by that Albertsons. They had Grand Opening signs in the parking lot, so I assume it just received some sort of remodel. The extent of it could be anybody's guess. I believe it had the blue-gray interior, although the last time I was inside that one was a couple years ago. The store might have seen an increase in business when the nearby Mega Foods closed and was demolished for a new Walgreens. However, there is a Fred Meyer across the street, a Costco next to that, and a new Walmart Supercenter just down the road. This area does get a lot of traffic, so maybe that Albertsons has a chance if Supervalu didn't cheap out on the remodel.