Albertsons TV ads

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Albertsons TV ads

Post by marshd1000 »

I don't know if anyone has noticed this. But I was viewing the latest Albertsons TV ad where there is a kid who is causing a cleanup on asile 9. But during this commercial, there is some light music in the background. Would you believe it is a instrumental version of the famous, "It's Joe Albertsons supermarket but the bakery (or meat or produce etc) department is mine!"? I remember that jingle from either the late 1970's well into the 1980's.
Super S

Re: Albertsons TV ads

Post by Super S »

I saw the commercial last night and noticed the jingle also. Perhaps this is a subtle hint that Albertsons is trying to make an effort to bring back some of the things that made them a good chain during the 1970s and 1980s. For what it's worth, this commercial has been airing quite often lately, and in my opinion, is one of the better ones Albertsons has had in the past several years.
jbarn02
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by jbarn02 »

Is that on youtube by chance?
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

jbarn02
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by jbarn02 »

Your right about the jingle. Very faint but I see what you guys mean.
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by KingU8ol0Soopers »

That's definitely one of Albertson's more memorable recent ads in my opinion, but I think that there would be a better way for them to express how they're going back to the things that made them grade in the 70's and 80's than by using a subtle jingle that most people won't even notice, if that's what their intentions actually are.
Forum Moderator
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was in an intermountain division store tonight and the jingle about the meat department was playing in between the usual canned music.

Seemed a little out there to hear that jingle, but certainly better than the generic announcements Supervalu used to make between songs in-store.

They've come far, fast, on pricing and fresh departments... I'm really impressed.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote:I was in an intermountain division store tonight and the jingle about the meat department was playing in between the usual canned music.

Seemed a little out there to hear that jingle, but certainly better than the generic announcements Supervalu used to make between songs in-store.

They've come far, fast, on pricing and fresh departments... I'm really impressed.
I've recently noticed that too at the stores here in the Southwest division.

I know I've said it before, but Albertsons is running a number of nice moderate - high volume stores here in Arizona (a division that was left for dead back in 2005/2006). If Safeway does decide to leave the Arizona market (which I am in no way convinced that they will, seeing as they have been in the market since the late 1930s/early 1940s) I can see Albertsons LLC plucking the desirable locations and running a nice competitor to Kroger / Fry's.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

These LLC people have figured out how to drive sales. This is not rocket science. Cut the prices and you will move product. Maintain quality and the customers will be very happy. Keep sales levels up and employee staffing hours are stable which helps the attitude of the employees, working in a successful store. This philosophy has been lost at Albertsons since the late 1990's and they started to veer the wrong way in the 1997-1998 period when they started to think price wasn't important.

It is going to take time and money to fix things, changes won't come overnight. It will be interesting to see how much time LLC is willing to spend turning around some of these operations. I think, they are going to be more patient than a lot of industry observers think.

I was very impressed with the attitude of the employees in the store I visited yesterday (and again today). This is a complete 180 from when Supervalu was running the store. The store is tired (blue/gray) and could be a lot cleaner, but, fresh areas look great. Customer count isn't great either and oddly it appears most of the traffic improvements in this store are on perimeter: all meat upgraded to USDA Choice, a very nice, extensive, high quality deli with a lot of good promotions, and very fresh looking well priced produce. Bakery still needs work, bakery looks like Supervalu still (terrible prices), not like the LLC Southwest Stores.