Total count of closing Albertsons / Safeway stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Total count of closing Albertsons / Safeway stores

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:Gonna try to re-visit this topic. While a few stores have opened (almost, if not all conversions from Haggen or Paul's), some stores have closed down or in the process of. Dates are 2016 and the day announced. I'll try to edit this post for the 2016 closings so far... (yes, I know as of the first post I'm missing a lot).

3/16 - Albertsons, 1301 Custer Road, Plano, TX (lease expiration, Tom Thumb stores nearby)
3/21 - ACME, 29 Cornwell Dr, Bridgeton, NJ (lease expiration)
3/21 - ACME, 1080 Broad Street, Shrewsbury NJ (lease expiration, converted A&P Fresh ACME nearby)
3/21 - ACME, 2176 Baltimore Pike, Oxford, PA (lease expiration)
4/6 - Safeway, 469 Cole Shopping Center, Cheyenne, WY
4/15 - Safeway, 6745 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy, Portland, OR
This is a good idea! Four stores to add: the Safeway at Grant & Craycroft in Tucson, the Albertsons at 3301 Southern Blvd in Rio Rancho, NM, the Safeway at West 64th Ave. and Ward Road in Arvada, CO (Denver area), and the Safeway in Lewiston, ID (closing due to performance issues).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Safeway 1902 Veirs Mill Rd., Rockville, MD closing July 2, 2016 (70 employees)
Safeway Seat Pleasant, MD closing July 2, 2016 (94 employees)
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

architect wrote:...and the Safeway in Lewiston, ID (closing due to performance issues).
Performance issues meaning WinCo Foods opened across the street? Seriously, there are few other options in the immediate area. :-/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Performance issues because the 2,400 store chain can't compete with less than 100 stores WinCo. Prices more than double for staple items, is it any wonder they are failing?

Maybe not charging 3.59 regular price for a Dozen Lucerne Large Eggs in Reno ("Club price $2.99") when WinCo in Reno is 1.19 for a dozen large "First Light" Eggs is not such a good business strategy. Or those $2.99 half gallons of Lucerne Nonfat Milk made in an Albertsons-owned plant when WinCo is $1.42 for a half gallon of WinCo Nonfat Milk which is made by a third party vendor (Dean Foods). Smiths is higher on these items too at 1.59 regular price for the eggs and 1.79 regular price for the milk but at least not double...

What a joke.
lake
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by lake »

storewanderer wrote:Performance issues because the 2,400 store chain can't compete with less than 100 stores WinCo. Prices more than double for staple items, is it any wonder they are failing?

Maybe not charging 3.59 regular price for a Dozen Lucerne Large Eggs in Reno ("Club price $2.99") when WinCo in Reno is 1.19 for a dozen large "First Light" Eggs is not such a good business strategy. Or those $2.99 half gallons of Lucerne Nonfat Milk made in an Albertsons-owned plant when WinCo is $1.42 for a half gallon of WinCo Nonfat Milk which is made by a third party vendor (Dean Foods). Smiths is higher on these items too at 1.59 regular price for the eggs and 1.79 regular price for the milk but at least not double...

What a joke.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Reno Safeways run off of California distribution right?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote:Performance issues because the 2,400 store chain can't compete with less than 100 stores WinCo. Prices more than double for staple items, is it any wonder they are failing?

What a joke.
I know you are usually focused on price and that's cool but, I'm not understanding why you would compare a Winco to a supermarket company.

Winco is privately owned (by its employees as well) and it is not a supermarket. I understand that they only have 100 stores but the company's structure allows them, by design and intent, to sell and service at their price points.
Super S

Post by Super S »

veteran+ wrote:

What a joke.
I know you are usually focused on price and that's cool but, I'm not understanding why you would compare a Winco to a supermarket company.

Winco is privately owned (by its employees as well) and it is not a supermarket. I understand that they only have 100 stores but the company's structure allows them, by design and intent, to sell and service at their price points.
WinCo does call itself "The supermarket low price leader" though. Maybe they aren't a supermarket in the traditional sense, but they are considered by many to be a supermarket.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am curious why you say Winco is not a supermarket?

It is limited on non food missing pharmacy but other than that it has everything and more that any conventional grocer has. Service deli, bakery, service seafood, large meat and produce area, wide selection of packaged items... Some even have sushi kiosks.

And more importantly it has taken significant marketshare from all conventional supermarkets when entering a given area. So it may not be a supermarket by some definition but it certainly takes a lot of business from them...
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Merriam Webster's definition of Supermarket:
: a store where customers can buy a variety of foods and usually household items

WinCo is a Supermarket. Even their website says so.

The definition typically is that the store sells grocery, meat, produce, dairy and frozen items. A modern supsermarket would also have a pharmacy, service meat, deli, bakery, and possibly other peripheral services (Albertsons, Safeway, Kroger, et. al.). A Hypermarket would have an emphasis on general merchandise as well (Walmart). A warehouse format supermarket (Winco, Cub Foods, County Market, Super 1 Foods (as a part of Brookshire) and others) merchandises its inventory in a warehouse, no frills format, but it's still a supermarket by definition. That's WinCo.