Walgreens plans to close 200 stores

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Walgreens plans to close 200 stores

Post by storewanderer » September 11th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Alpha8472 wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:47 pm
Walgreens has abandoned the front end in many of their stores. The prices are so high and the shelves are so empty that it would not impact sales much anyway.

The profit is made in the pharmacy, and Walgreens is too cheap to staff the front end.

Are these Walgreens near Walmart or Target stores? If they are, no rational person would pay more for what they can get at Walmart or Target.

Remember that Walgreens was thinking of opening up pharmacies inside of Kroger. The profit would come from the pharmacy and Kroger would supply the labor for the over the counter products outside of the pharmacy.
Walgreens is going to take over the drug department of the Kroger Stores in a test market in TN or KY, I am not really sure which state and have been confused. But the pharmacy will remain in control of Kroger. To me it would make a lot more sense if Kroger gave Walgreens the pharmacy but Kroger kept control of the merchandise area since Kroger is a superior merchandiser and has a good drug program with great pricing. Another bad move by Kroger. If that comes to Smiths I will definitely be shifting more shopping away from Smiths and to online for those items. You know the Rite Aid website is 30% off all items all the time if you search for an item via Google and then find your way to the Rite Aid website that way. Good deals there, a little below Wal Mart or Amazon with that discount.