Bartell Drugs to close Downtown Seattle location due to crime

klkla

Re: Bartell Drugs to close Downtown Seattle location due to crime

Post by klkla »

Brian Lutz wrote: October 16th, 2019, 12:26 pm To give you some idea of current conditions in Downtown Seattle, this article reports on results of a recent survey of 104 property owners in King County who say that they believe that crimes are significantly underreported (mostly due to a belief that the criminals won't be prosecuted even if caught). 3 out of 4 people surveyed say that the area is less safe than it was 2-5 years ago, and 82% say they are experiencing significantly increased security costs as a result.

https://komonews.com/news/project-seatt ... -worsening
FWIW it doesn't sound like the poll has any statistical validity and considering the source I wouldn't give too much credence to it. KOMO is part of Sinclair Broadcasting which has a conservative political agenda and anything they publish has to be looked at through that bias. I'm not saying there isn't a homeless problem in Seattle but other companies are still operating in that neighborhood so the 'reason' is not due to crime per se.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

klkla wrote: October 17th, 2019, 3:20 pm
Brian Lutz wrote: October 16th, 2019, 12:26 pm To give you some idea of current conditions in Downtown Seattle, this article reports on results of a recent survey of 104 property owners in King County who say that they believe that crimes are significantly underreported (mostly due to a belief that the criminals won't be prosecuted even if caught). 3 out of 4 people surveyed say that the area is less safe than it was 2-5 years ago, and 82% say they are experiencing significantly increased security costs as a result.

FWIW it doesn't sound like the poll has any statistical validity and considering the source I wouldn't give too much credence to it. KOMO is part of Sinclair Broadcasting which has a conservative political agenda and anything they publish has to be looked at through that bias. I'm not saying there isn't a homeless problem in Seattle but other companies are still operating in that neighborhood so the 'reason' is not due to crime per se.
Well said! Prescient and accurate! "News" from any Sinclair affiliate is extremely suspect!

But, there is a problem in the general area with displacement of many, by the "tech" gentrification.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: October 18th, 2019, 9:04 am
klkla wrote: October 17th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Well said! Prescient and accurate! "News" from any Sinclair affiliate is extremely suspect!

But, there is a problem in the general area with displacement of many, by the "tech" gentrification.
Unfortunately if it isn't one media outlet with some bias to one extreme, it is some other media outlet with some other bias to some other extreme. Somewhere in the middle, the truth lies. What I really like is when pictures are provided. I suppose it could have all been staged though, so maybe we shouldn't believe the photo images in the KOMO story.

Not sure of the potential bias of the other media outlets that have been reporting on the original topic at hand which was the closure of this drug store.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

That is very true but in this case it is clearly a false equivalent.

Sinclair is well known and documented to be untrustworthy with the truth, writ large.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: October 19th, 2019, 9:20 am That is very true but in this case it is clearly a false equivalent.

Sinclair is well known and documented to be untrustworthy with the truth, writ large.
I've never looked into this particular media outfit before but learned tonight that it actually owns a couple stations in my market and affiliates with all of the major networks NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, etc. (not sure why every single one of those networks would want anything to do with an untrustworthy broadcast company), but again to steer back on topic here, we have a thread going here about a drug store closing in downtown Seattle due to, issues happening there such as theft and increased security costs. As a tourist I have personally observed an increasing amount of homeless people and property damage around downtown Seattle including the area where this store is, in recent years. I have also noticed increased security measures in the area.

The news story posted shows photos of property damage taking place and documents the ongoing issues in the general area. Photos don't lie.

Perhaps the other media outlets that are staying silent about the problems in Seattle are the untrustworthy dishonest ones. Or simply have found other matters to report on. Media outlets realistically cannot cover every single story on every single topic in their little 1 and 2 minute segments in 30 minute broadcast cycles so they have to filter through what they do and don't want to report. So they are all going to have some bias in some way on what they do and don't cover and how they cover different topics.

Just because someone disagrees with a given point of view does not mean it is untrustworthy.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: October 20th, 2019, 9:10 pmJust because someone disagrees with a given point of view does not mean it is untrustworthy.
I wasn't trying to turn this into a political argument. I was merely pointing out that this particular company has a well known political agenda. I would say the same about MSNBC, for example. If I am reading an article that was published their website I would take their known political views into account. That doesn't mean anything either company says is not true, just that they focus on issues that help their political agenda.

As for the issue with Bartell they could have just as easily wrote about the explosive economic growth that has been happening in downtown Seattle over the last decade and interviewed 104 people that have successfully opened new businesses in the area but that story would not suit their political agenda.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: October 20th, 2019, 9:10 pm
veteran+ wrote: October 19th, 2019, 9:20 am That is very true but in this case it is clearly a false equivalent.

I've never looked into this particular media outfit before but learned tonight that it actually owns a couple stations in my market and affiliates with all of the major networks NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, etc. (not sure why every single one of those networks would want anything to do with an untrustworthy broadcast company), but again to steer back on topic here, we have a thread going here about a drug store closing in downtown Seattle due to, issues happening there such as theft and increased security costs. As a tourist I have personally observed an increasing amount of homeless people and property damage around downtown Seattle including the area where this store is, in recent years. I have also noticed increased security measures in the area.

The news story posted shows photos of property damage taking place and documents the ongoing issues in the general area. Photos don't lie.

Perhaps the other media outlets that are staying silent about the problems in Seattle are the untrustworthy dishonest ones. Or simply have found other matters to report on. Media outlets realistically cannot cover every single story on every single topic in their little 1 and 2 minute segments in 30 minute broadcast cycles so they have to filter through what they do and don't want to report. So they are all going to have some bias in some way on what they do and don't cover and how they cover different topics.

Just because someone disagrees with a given point of view does not mean it is untrustworthy.

I never said I agreed or disagreed :-)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: October 21st, 2019, 2:48 pm
storewanderer wrote: October 20th, 2019, 9:10 pmJust because someone disagrees with a given point of view does not mean it is untrustworthy.
I wasn't trying to turn this into a political argument. I was merely pointing out that this particular company has a well known political agenda. I would say the same about MSNBC, for example. If I am reading an article that was published their website I would take their known political views into account. That doesn't mean anything either company says is not true, just that they focus on issues that help their political agenda.

As for the issue with Bartell they could have just as easily wrote about the explosive economic growth that has been happening in downtown Seattle over the last decade and interviewed 104 people that have successfully opened new businesses in the area but that story would not suit their political agenda.
Yes, as I said earlier, somewhere in the middle of these news reports, some form of truth lies. "Camps" have set up and seem to be doubling down on one form of bias or another. In the end, things seem to still progress and work out.