Rite Aid Buys Bartell Drugs

Super S
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Rite Aid Buys Bartell Drugs

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 9:36 pm Rite Aid realizes that customers are loyal to trusted local brand names. When Thrifty signs went up on remodeled Rite Aid stores in Northern California, the signs were so prominent that it looked like the store was a Thrifty Pharmacy with a Rite Aid logo in the middle.

Customers were commenting on how they stopped in just to see if Thrifty had returned. It really generated more business after the remodel. Rite Aid should bring back more regional brands and see if their sales improve.
Rite Aid is taking a different approach with Bartell. I remember when they took over PayLess. Among other things, they implemented a loyalty card right away (this was a time when even Safeway had no card yet) and had a reputation at first of screwing up prescriptions, not to mention scaling merchandise way back. Rite Aid struggled around here for a long time.

Not so sure bringing back regional brands like PayLess would do much now. It's been nearly 25 years. The people who remembered the big PayLess as well as Thrifty stores would expect things Rite Aid got rid of, such as sporting goods, music, bigger electronics departments, among other things. Rite Aid does still have some of the big stores but has been steadily consolidating into smaller spaces.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: September 18th, 2021, 6:53 am
Rite Aid is taking a different approach with Bartell. I remember when they took over PayLess. Among other things, they implemented a loyalty card right away (this was a time when even Safeway had no card yet) and had a reputation at first of screwing up prescriptions, not to mention scaling merchandise way back. Rite Aid struggled around here for a long time.

Not so sure bringing back regional brands like PayLess would do much now. It's been nearly 25 years. The people who remembered the big PayLess as well as Thrifty stores would expect things Rite Aid got rid of, such as sporting goods, music, bigger electronics departments, among other things. Rite Aid does still have some of the big stores but has been steadily consolidating into smaller spaces.
I think the ship has sailed with regards to the regional brands at this point. Payless is long gone- these stores are not the same store as Payless was anyway, missing all of that general merchandise. The stores do still remind me more of Thrifty in terms of their size and what they are offering... but the Thrifty name is still there anyway especially in CA with the ice cream, it never went away in the first place.

It could be Bartell is handled the way Longs has been handled in HI (at this point it is a carbon copy of CVS with a lot of special merchandise sourced from local vendors).

The gray loyalty card implementation they did in the 90's was a test market and was only in a few metro areas and a couple were in the Pacific Northwest. That loyalty card in the 90's was never implemented in CA but it did work there for 10% off the store brand items if you had one from one of the test markets.
babs
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: September 18th, 2021, 9:07 am
Super S wrote: September 18th, 2021, 6:53 am

I think the ship has sailed with regards to the regional brands at this point. Payless is long gone- these stores are not the same store as Payless was anyway, missing all of that general merchandise. The stores do still remind me more of Thrifty in terms of their size and what they are offering... but the Thrifty name is still there anyway especially in CA with the ice cream, it never went away in the first place.

It could be Bartell is handled the way Longs has been handled in HI (at this point it is a carbon copy of CVS with a lot of special merchandise sourced from local vendors).

The gray loyalty card implementation they did in the 90's was a test market and was only in a few metro areas and a couple were in the Pacific Northwest. That loyalty card in the 90's was never implemented in CA but it did work there for 10% off the store brand items if you had one from one of the test markets.
The Thrifty sign is there to indicate an ice cream counter. It's not a nostalgic throwback. They view the ice cream counter as a differentiator.